C900 alternator probs...

Set off in my 900i (1990) the other day and noticed the battery light was glowing dimly when idling, after a while the light became brighter but again only while idling or at low revs, after a while driving the problem went away only to return about half an hour later. When I stopped I found the battery to be completely discharged.

I've had the AA out to take a look, he found the alternator to be charging but intermitantly so he cleaned all the contacts in particular the earth and that seemed to do the job, it was even charging better than ever, but 10 minutes down the road with the AA guy gone and the light came back on... I managed to get back home but now the light is brighter than ever - it will fade and even dissappear but it needs about 3000rpm to do so.

Does this mean the alternator is completely knackered or should I try and dismantle it? I saw there is a section on checking the brushes in the Haynes manual.

If I do need a new one would a scrap yard job do or am I just setting myself up for more probs? The cars done 130k so I guess its time for a new one...

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers, G.

Reply to
GG

Most likely brushes. Brush pack readily available.

Reply to
Grunff

One other possibility is the little lead which clips onto the alt and goes to the dash. Make sure that the wire is not broken at the connector. I have seen this as well.

Regards,

KeithG

Grunff wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

I need to do a continuity check on that lead, but wouldn't that only affect what the dash battery light shows? Could it also stop the alternator functioning? Cheers, GG.

Reply to
GG

there is a wire that readily breaks off that connects to the alt. if this wire is not connected battery will go dead . check all wires are connected. papa

Reply to
PapaGene