"CDC CODE"

This is the message on the SID when I try to access the CD changer in the trunk. Any knowledge as to what causes this? Do I need a dealer to correct this or do I have other options?

Thanks for your help

Bob

Reply to
Robert Murphy

Sorry. I forgot to mention this is a 2000 9-3s Convertible.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Robert Murphy

The "CDC CODE" message indicates that the CD changer isn't married to your car. Due to the risk of theft the audio system head unit and CD changer has to be married to the car using the TECH2 diagnostics computer (and divorced before moving them to another car).

You need to visit someone with a TECH2 computer, e.g. a dealer or perhaps an independent service garage.

Was the CD changer working at one time, or was it just installed?

If the changer was bought used and it wasn't properly divorced from its previous car then it can not be married to your car. If the VIN of the previous car is known then it might be possible to arrange a divorce.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Thanks for your help.

I just bought the car used. I have no idea when the CD changer was installed and it was something I forgot to check on before purchasing the car. I do have to address another issue with the salesman so I'll bring it up then.

Let's see if I got this straight. If the player was taken out of another car and not divorced properly it basically becomes worthless? Seems like a bit of overkill though.

Thanks again.

Bob

Bob

Reply to
Robert Murphy

Yes. He should know about that, and in any case you shouldn't have to pay for something that was effectively ruined by their installation process.

Well, if some people didn't steal other peoples' stuff, none of this sort of thing would be needed. Car audio equipment is a high-value target normally. The theory, I suppose, is that if the thief learns that Saab audio gear can't be resold, they'll steal from someone else next time.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That is how it is. It might be possible to divorce a CD changer if the VIN of the car it is married to is known, by temporarily programming that VIN in a different car, divorcing the CD changer, programming the real VIN and marrying the CD changer. This is not a simple task and most service technicans will probably not be able to do it without messing up the other devices that are also married to the car.

Why? If the protection could be bypassed then the protection would be useless. The idea is to have a protection so good that the words spread amongst the thieves are that the "Saab stuff is worthless if stolen", not that "the Saab protection can be bypassed by using a paper clip". This is the result of having thieves outside of the prison walls.

I don't see this as your problem. You bought the car with the CD changer so the dealer should marry it to the car if possible, or replace it with a CD changer that can be married, without any cost to you.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

I just got off the phone with a local dealer and their service department. I was told by the dealer that both units would have to be removed and sent to Clarion and that the "marriage" didn't apply to this vehicle (2000). If the dealer is correct what are my options and what are they if the dealer is wrong? It would seem the cost of removing everything and sending it to Clarion could be costly. Any ideas on what my option for replacing the unit?

Thanks for all of your help.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Murphy

Dealer is talking rubbish. All 9-3/5's have the 'married' audio, the only direct fit replacement is a SAAB unit, no-one currently offers a way to directly interface with SAAB's audio systems Plus the units are Pioneer iirc........

Reply to
murphwiz

So I found a Saab dealer with no clue. Lucky me. There is a private mechanic not far from where I work (Swedish Auto Sports in Cherry Hill NJ) that specializes in Saab's. Any chance they will be able to help?

Thanks again.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Murphy

If he has the TECH 2 diagnostic/programming computer he may be able to.

Reply to
murphwiz

You migh try United d Radio -

inNew York. I are one of the few places that can reset and "marry" a SaabRadio within it being plugged into the actual car whose VIN matches the VINprogrammed into the radio. Even the Tech 2 will probably NOT be able to "divorce" a CD changer whose programmed VIN does NOT match the car's VIN.

Call them anyway... They were of great help to me recently - they also do a great job repairing Saab (Pioneer or Clarion ) head units (i.e radio+ cassette + built-in CD )

Reply to
Kim Kazmaier

Reply to
Kim Kazmaier