DTE - how low have you seen it go ?

This is for newer Saabs with the electronic Distance to Empty (DTE) display. And, yes, it's a stupid question with no apparent purpose, but I'm curious.

I regularly drive mine down to 20 or less. The other day I drove it down to 3 miles, but then it bumped itself to 7 or 8 miles and stuck there. I was on my way to the gas station anyway as I didn't have the nerve to let it go below 3 so I don't know if it would have dropped again... it didn't on the way to the station :-).

Anyone actually run it to zero ? Does it ever display "You're out, dumbo!"

Bob

Reply to
Retro Bob

They say the only stupid one question is ne not asked....

Bob Once when I was running late, I parked with 10 miles left. The next day I drove right to the gas station about a mile away. The 3 starts from complete stops brought me down to a display of 0 miles left when I got to the gas station. I am glad I made it without running out.

Reply to
Stephen B.

Years ago I tested this on my Ducati motorbike (no gauges, but flip a lever to a reserve tank- I wanted to see how far that got me). I took a container of spare fuel, and rode until it ran out. Easy!

Reply to
sdf

It will go to zero. When I offloaded my Viggen from the transport it was on zero and I had to drive nearly a mile to a gas station....needless to say I was a bit nervous. Lot's of short shifting and coasting. I would imagine the thing is pretty accurate so I wouldn't recommend going to zero.

Reply to
WitchDr

Its not a good idea to run to a dry tank. The fuel pump in most all cars these days including Saabs is cooled in part by being immersed in fuel. Running dry will shorten the life of the pump.

Reply to
frist