Calibrate a fuel sending unit, How?

Ok, I received my sending unit in the mail and I've heard from several posters it should be calibrated before I put it in the tank. Question is how? I couldn't find a reference in my FSM for ohm settings and even if I did, how would I set the sending unit to read a specific value.

I have a meter.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Hi Bill,

This is what I did. I hooked up the sending unit and the ground. and a good ground source at that. I just moved the float thing. Mine did not need adjustment. I left it. At empty it has approx. 2 gallons. At full all is good. The two gallons are a safety measure. I'm sorry I must admit. I don't know how to adjust it.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The only way I know of to 'calibrate' it would be to add a POT (potentiometer) or variable resistor to it to get it exact, then take it's reading and replace it with a regular resistor of the same ohms as the POT reads.

I normally calibrate them this way.

I have a full gas can in the back and watch the gauge. When the gauge reads empty, I mark the odometer reading and continue on until I run out of gas. I then know how long after empty I can drive.

I have had some that were out period when the gauge stopped, and others that left me 50-75 miles more.

Here is a link on the gauges and their meter readings:

All that said, the new gauge I put in my CJ7 was exact. At 1/2 tank, I had exactly 1/2 tank of gas left and E was freaking empty.

Prick only lasted 1 week though, then it went bad on me. I have to tear open my dash, I have a bad connection inside the fuel gauge at the mechanical voltage regulator so now at full, it only reads 2/3 and I have 1/3 left after empty. This makes my temp gauge read low too.

I tried to jumper in an electronic voltage regulator, but it only worked for a few days too. The post inside has a bad connection at it's base.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain