Electronic ignition conversion kits

Any one have any opinions on converting from a mechanical distribution to electronic

I want to improve the spark on my '86 900t, and I already have a new coil, plugs and wires. This is a last idea that would eliminate the rotor from the distributer and replace it with an electronic ignition module.

Anyone konw the type of distributer Saab used in the c900? (Bosch, Delco etc.) I know they often sourced parts out (Transmission, control systems) and am wondering whose products they used for the ditributer.

An example:

Again thanks for any opines... Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Brown

The type of electronic ignition in your link does _not_ eliminate the rotor (even when the pics in the link do not show it), only DI does... It eliminates the breaker points. I have put a similar Pertronix ignition in my V4 Saabs, no problem installation and operation ((unit 1847v), cost about US$ 65) . Uses the standard coil and spark plugs. If your coil has a resistor in series, you need to connect the red lead of the electronic ignition to the +12 V side of the resistor.

I think it's a Bosch distributor. Later 900s have electronic ignition, you could probably use one of those distributors (and computers).

Reply to
MH

Reply to
Jeremy

FWIW, many years ago in the distant past in early 80's, I fitted an ignition amp to my FIAT 132 1800GLS, it was very simple to fit and get to work (even I could do it) since it used the existing distributor to provide the signal, but not the power. Hence distributor wear was no longer a problem. I think it was called Sparkrite.

Reply to
Johannes

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

I think they would have one that would fit. A lot of places in the US make distributors, mainly aimed at circuit/strip racing, NASCAR, etc. so it might not really suit a classic 900.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site