front end shakes (c900)

Thanks for the suggestion, but: A. I have the 16 (round) spoke alloy wheels, and B. This is an intermittent problem (so far).

Yes, certainly would be much easier. Although I'm starting to think that replacing the left inner driver would be good to do anyway as preventive maintenance, since it's original to the car and the right (exhaust) side has already been replaced. In which case I might as well replace the whole LHS drive axle with a rebuilt one.

For the moment, I'm waiting to see if the problem recurs.

John

Reply to
John B

A side-issue.... Apparently the seals for the pinion shaft in these power steering units can be replaced without removing the rack? One of the Ebay sellers that markets seal kits says that can be replaced with the rack in-situ, so I'm keen to know if that's possible.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Well I guess given that, it's possible that it could simply be a wheel imbalance which only showed up when you were driving at a speed which would cause the wheel to rotate as what would be the resonant frequency of the out of balance wheel.

I'm not sure how to calculate what that would be, but I'm guessing normal driving wouldn't get a wheel to rotate fast enough for something like that to actually occur. I could be wrong though. 8-)

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Unlikely, as the shaking occurred over a range of speeds between 55 and 75 mph, and I've driven a fair amount at those speeds since with no problem. I still think the most likely thing is an axle bearing on its way out.

John

Reply to
John B