GM to cut virtually all Saab's ties to Sweden

In some areas it goes further than that. Up until about 4 years ago, in my home state of New Hampshire, it was up to the individual *townships* to both fund and make all decisions about school curricula, etc. The state did set some "bare minimum" requirements, but they had no teeth as there was no leverage without providing any funding.

Unfortunately (IMO), the judicial branch of our state government got their fingers into it and mandated that *any* inequality in educational opportunity between towns is unconstitutional. So now a portion of my real estate tax bill (the only tax that I directly pay to the state by the way) goes to the the state capitol to be "redistributed" to the less affluent towns.

I do not understand this kind of thinking at all. The way I see it, everyone is free to seek a life in the town or cities that they want. Nobody is holding a gun to the heads of those people who move out into the boondocks so that they can improve their quality of life, where property values and tax rates are lower. But now I am forced to subsidize *their* choice.

The closer to home that decisions are made, the better IMO.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

It was a financial decision at the time. Second-guessing a transaction a decade ago doesn't free GM from the blame for screwing up a good car.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No need to apologize to me, Shane. Good of you to do so, but not needed.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Which was my point.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I have to disagree here. I was on a project in Monterry Mexico a few years back. I was there every week Sun. Night - Fri. afternoon for 5 months. I even took Spanish classes.

At then end I understood and spoke no more spanish than I did before I got there. Believe me I now know what an illiterate has to deal with.

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin

Many of our states are bigger than many countries. Needs in Texas aren't the same as the needs in, say, Delaware. Local controls are better than having some huge overhead to dictate something that doesn't apply.

I'm guessing you don't work in any sort of science.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I am saying that the person would have no choice but to learn to speak the language and no opportunity to speak his native language. I guess you talked plenty of English when on assignment and on weekends.

Reply to
Dan

) context.

It's all my fault from my first reply ;-)

I don't mind the Americans being a bit odd; it is just a national trait like any other nation. But that's precisely that: They are just a nation and not the whole world.

Reply to
Johannes

Electronic design actually. A knowledge of Greek letters is far more useful. ;-)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

And GM's current decisions aren't financial?

Reply to
WitchDr

You miss my point. You're blaming somoene a decade ago for what's being done now. That's like blaming a bartender because someone decides to be a drunk driver.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Who can blame him? America's the most hated terrorist nation in the world.

Reply to
Dan RatherNot

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Just so ya' know. Dan Rather should be your hero, since he is an icon for liberal left wing ignorance, and also a veritable spigot of misinformation.

Reply to
Jef Gearhart

Wow! It's not often you see a series of posts as long or as vociferous as this one. Obviously, this stuff is a LOT more interesting than cars!

Mike.

Reply to
Mike C

What does right wing ignorance look like then ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Does one even need to ask?

Let's face it though, there's quite a lot of ignorance on both wings, but none of that is related to Saabs.

Reply to
James Sweet

I dunno. Jerry Falwell??

Reply to
Jef Gearhart

And superior. As I child I experienced both. In england I was considered advanced and moved forward a year. We moved to scotland and had to do 6 months in the remedial class to get to my proper age level in Scotland (not the advanced class I was in, in england).

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You may extend this idea further North to Denmark and Sweden :-) But someone said that all generalisations are wrong...

Reply to
Johannes