I'll do anything to make the phone buttons work!

I'm the new "owner" (it's actually a company car) of a 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible.

First ? I think the car is great. It's been 70ish degrees in Southern California, and I'm having a blast driving around with top down and abusing the "manual" mode of the automatic transmission.

But ? as much as I love driving the car, I'm really unhappy about the phone. Our car guys installed the Ericsson aftermarket kit ? and they managed to do a poor job of it (the phone holder doesn't charge the phone! The phone doesn't mute the radio, just uses it's own speaker, etc?). Even if they had done a good a job as possible, it still wasn't what I wanted. I want the phone buttons on the steering wheel and "infortainment" system to work! And honestly, I don't care if I have to buy a different phone (I have the T610 GSM / w/ Bluetooth), or order parts from Europe, or get another SIM from my carrier. I'll do what ever I need to do.

Does anyone here know what I need to do, or who I could contact that would know?

Thanks in advance! I hope there is something I can do.

-Scott

Reply to
SFW

sounds like fun.

That's to do with the phone holder itself. Not sure that there's much you can do about that.

Not sure quite how to do that. However, here's what the 2000 MY does... (in a 9-5).

There's a few lines back into the phone connector. One is a "mute" signal from the phone that says it's off hook. That mutes the radio and puts "telephone" on the SID... (ymmv). This signal has to be supplied by the phone. Now how the phone buttons get back to the phone, well, not sure here.

But anything you put in there will have to obey those electrical rules.

You might want to investigate other car kits, and see how they're wired in. There's probably a connector from SAAB for your car, which has the connections on it. Not sure about 2004 MY, and 9-3s....

That will define the wires.. .Then the car kit has to be able to run them properly.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

Thanks. Yes - I think that we can install an aftermarket kit and make it work pretty well (like with muting and using the car's speakers).

What I'm wondering is, it possible to get the European bluetooth option (by hook or by crook) installed in my car? Then, it would work seemlessly.

Reply to
SFW

The phone buttons on the steering wheel is for the optional integrated phone module. The phone module integrates with the infotainment system and the interface to the phone is through the infotainment system. I know of no "standard" phone that have an interface that makes it possible to use it with the infotainment system. Integrated phone is only available for the infotainment systems.

What you can do for a "standard" phone is to use the hands free preparations. This will power the phone, route phone audio through the audio system, mute the audio system, and adjust the volume from the steering wheel buttons. The hands free preparations are available both for the "non-infotainment" audio systems and the infotainment systems.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Is it possible to get the integrated phone without getting OnStar?

Reply to
SFW

You can get the integrated phone here in Sweden. You can not get the ancient OnStar here in Sweden.

The only possible connection between OnStar and the integrated phone is that the OnStar installation has stolen, as it does in the 9-5, some connector required by the integrated phone. I don't know any details of the OnStar installation in the 9-3ss, so I don't know if there are any conflicts.

Reply to
Goran Larsson