V70 - connecting phone via Bluetooth

Hello,

Anybody made some experience with bluetooth phones in Volvo? I don't have a built-in phone and I wouldn't like the idea of putting there a sim card anytime I drive nor buying another sim card only for the car.

I have a bluetooth capable phone and found that kind of device:

1032&asource=REG Have anybody tried installing it in Volvo already? Some other recommended devices?

BRs, Zulik

Reply to
Zulik
[Zulik] (Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:11:19 +0100):

As soon I'll get the extra money, I'm ordering this one:

It should be no problem whatsoever to install it.

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

I don't get it. Why is BT so attractive? The car kit that I use (needs a cradle and) does this:

  1. Charges the phone battery while I drive.
  2. Auto answers
  3. Mutes the car audio
  4. Caller's voice comes from one of the car's speakers (on passenger side to reduce feedback).
  5. The microphone is fixed above my door, close as possible to my mouth.

It works really well and I have the phone mounted up high where I can use my right hand as necessary to select a name, change volume, cancel a call, etc.

What advantage does 'Bluetooth give? Or is it just that you leave your phone in your pocket? But then you have to charge yr battery elseways . . and how do you select from yr phone book, etc.

I need a new phone and kit for my new XC70, so I am all ears!! Have used Nokia to date but am sure that Sony-Ericsson will be good too.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

| >Anybody made some experience with bluetooth phones in Volvo? I don't have | >a built-in phone and I wouldn't like the idea of putting there a sim card | >anytime I drive nor buying another sim card only for the car. | >

| >I have a bluetooth capable phone and found that kind of device: | >

1032&asource=REG| >

| >Have anybody tried installing it in Volvo already? Some other recommended | >devices? | >

| | As soon I'll get the extra money, I'm ordering this one: |

| | It should be no problem whatsoever to install it. | -- | Svein Tore Sølvik | 1996 Volvo 850 2,5 20v

Reply to
Jim Kelly
[Jim Kelly] (Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:03:00 +1100):

Ony thing it won't do

Can do (don't see the point actually, I like to control if and when I'm going to answer)

Yup it does

Don't know if it comes in all or only one of the speakers (extra kit needed)

And this we can't with the BT-kit? Of course we can.

On the BT-kits, we get a small wired remote that we can use to answer, hang up, change volume. And we can dial via voice control. Never has to move the eyes off the road.

Voice dialling, it's pretty cool, press a button, say the name and location (work, home, mobile)

Seriously, with todays battery you don't have to charge all of the time, you can have a car holder for the phone (I do) and you can charge it in the car.

The main advantages: the phone can be anywhere in the car, less installation, if you change phones, you don't have to buy a new expensive kit.

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

Dear Volvo friends,

I am using a Nokia 6310i with bluetooth Nokia carkit on a SC-805, the only extra I needed was a mute box. The sound comes from the 8 speakers on my SC-805. Volvo V70-2000 auto.

Robert

Reply to
RobertV

OK, I'm sold! Thanks for explaining all that. Jim.

| >1. Charges the phone battery while I drive. | Ony thing it won't do | | >2. Auto answers | Can do (don't see the point actually, I like to control if and when I'm | going to answer) | >3. Mutes the car audio | Yup it does | >4. Caller's voice comes from one of the car's speakers (on passenger | >side to reduce feedback). | Don't know if it comes in all or only one of the speakers (extra kit | needed) | >5. The microphone is fixed above my door, close as possible to my | >mouth. | And this we can't with the BT-kit? Of course we can. | | >

| >It works really well and I have the phone mounted up high where I | >can use my right hand as necessary to select a name, change volume, | >cancel a call, etc. | | On the BT-kits, we get a small wired remote that we can use to answer, | hang up, change volume. And we can dial via voice control. Never has to | move the eyes off the road. | >

| >What advantage does 'Bluetooth give? Or is it just that you leave | >your phone in your pocket? But then you have to charge yr battery | >elseways . . and how do you select from yr phone book, etc. | | Voice dialling, it's pretty cool, press a button, say the name and | location (work, home, mobile) | >I need a new phone and kit for my new XC70, so I am all ears!! Have | >used Nokia to date but am sure that Sony-Ericsson will be good too. | | | Seriously, with todays battery you don't have to charge all of the time, | you can have a car holder for the phone (I do) and you can charge it in | the car. | | The main advantages: the phone can be anywhere in the car, less | installation, if you change phones, you don't have to buy a new expensive | kit. | -- | Svein Tore Sølvik | 1996 Volvo 850 2,5 20v

Reply to
Jim Kelly

For me it has a few advantages... I use the SOny Ericsson HBH-35. I'm in the UK, so now it's illegal to even touch your phone unless it's just to press the answer button. You're not allowed to hold the phone, cradle it to your ear, text message, look for numbers in your phone book, play snake, or anything similar (which tbh makes a lot of sense). I can answer calls, and can voice dial any of the 10 on my list. The phone stays in my pocket so there can be no confusion about whether I'm holding it or not. Battery's not a problem - it's a Nokia 6310i and the batts last for ages.

The advantage with the headset is I can take it with me and use it at home. There are definitely possible health problems of using a mobile for a long time, and cos I use mine a lot, I tend to use the BT headset. It helps to reduce the amount I'm cooking my brain. I've definitely noticed my ear doesn't get as warm after an hour on a mobile when using my headset. The headset's so low power it'd not gona do any harm.

If I was in the car a lot, I'd prob install a proper car kit, but don't really need it right now... and a wired one would certainly be cheaper and seems to do the job just as well.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

Thanks Mark, perhaps a wired car kit with voice recognition is what we need??

Curious that you use the Sony-Ericsson car kit with a Nokia phone!!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

| > 1. Charges the phone battery while I drive. | > 2. Auto answers | > 3. Mutes the car audio | > 4. Caller's voice comes from one of the car's speakers (on passenger | > side to reduce feedback). | > 5. The microphone is fixed above my door, close as possible to my | > mouth. | >

| > It works really well and I have the phone mounted up high where I | > can use my right hand as necessary to select a name, change volume, | > cancel a call, etc. | >

| > What advantage does 'Bluetooth give? Or is it just that you leave | > your phone in your pocket? But then you have to charge yr battery | > elseways . . and how do you select from yr phone book, etc. | >

| > I need a new phone and kit for my new XC70, so I am all ears!! Have | > used Nokia to date but am sure that Sony-Ericsson will be good too. | >

| > Cheers, | >

| > Jim Kelly | >

| | For me it has a few advantages... I use the SOny Ericsson HBH-35. I'm in | the UK, so now it's illegal to even touch your phone unless it's just to | press the answer button. You're not allowed to hold the phone, cradle it to | your ear, text message, look for numbers in your phone book, play snake, or | anything similar (which tbh makes a lot of sense). I can answer calls, and | can voice dial any of the 10 on my list. The phone stays in my pocket so | there can be no confusion about whether I'm holding it or not. Battery's | not a problem - it's a Nokia 6310i and the batts last for ages. | | The advantage with the headset is I can take it with me and use it at home. | There are definitely possible health problems of using a mobile for a long | time, and cos I use mine a lot, I tend to use the BT headset. It helps to | reduce the amount I'm cooking my brain. I've definitely noticed my ear | doesn't get as warm after an hour on a mobile when using my headset. The | headset's so low power it'd not gona do any harm. | | If I was in the car a lot, I'd prob install a proper car kit, but don't | really need it right now... and a wired one would certainly be cheaper and | seems to do the job just as well. | | Mark | |

Reply to
Jim Kelly
[Jim Kelly] (Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:34:17 +1100):

Don't think it was the car kit, only a wireless handsfree he was talking about.

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

Yup, the HBH-35 is a Bluetooth Headset, not car kit. Any car kit should support voice dialing, but it's the phone that does the voice dialing so make sure yours supports it. Most modernish phones do. Many limited to 10 numbers though. If the wired one does everything you need, its likely a better (cheaper) option.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley