manual shifter linkage out

My 900T all of a sudden the stick went limp, around and around. I managed to get home using only one gear,a high one. Clutch will not engage fully except this one gear and won't go to neutral. I'm pretty sure from my VW problems that this is the shifter linkage or possibly knuckle. Is there an easy way to fix this? I'm pretty novel with this car. I'll probably have to take it in for $200 or so. But I'd rather pay less.

Reply to
quenbro

On my wifes 1990 9000 turbo there is a rubber bush in the linkage that split, perhaps this it your problem also. on my wifes car the bush is in the linkage between approximatly the engine and bulkhead (firewall) accessed from below and also from the left hand wheel arch (wheel removed) this is on a RHD car. Took me about an hour to replace all-in and the part was cheap enough.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Almost certainly correct.

What year? More to the point, classic 900, or GM-900?

If it's a c900, it's a piece of cake. Take off the shifter boot, you'll see most of what has to be done. If the problem isn't right there, it would most likely be the pin between the linkage, and the shifting shaft coming out of the tranny. This is visible under the car just forward of the firewall, just about above the exhaust system.

If it's a GM-900, no clue.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz