Info on the 97x

Several questions regarding the 97x.

1) does anyone know if it has a third row seats? 2) available in-line six cylinder? 3) is it really a Saab or just another GM SUV? 4) i'm seriuosly considering the purchase of one if the vehicle is equipped with an in-line six and a third row of seats.
Reply to
Buzz

It's a GM SUV, IIRC it's based on the Trailblazer. I'm not sure what engine options will be available but I know there was talk of a V8. Should be plenty of info out there online, never interested me enough to look into it.

Reply to
James Sweet

If it is based on the Trailblazer, I hope they improved it. I was getting rather nervous when I saw the Trailblazer behind me sliding sideways at every stop. These were not high speed panic stops, just your everyday slow rush hour traffic. This indicates a serious braking/handling problem.

Reply to
ma_twain

most likely not because it is based on short version of Chevrolet Trailblazer.

yes, I believe V8 is going to be optional.

dare to say just another GM SUV. It is based on on Chevrolet Trailblazer, but it has independent rear suspension and other tricks. It is a tough call. You can say that 9-3 is based on Chevy Malibu ...

I guess you are out of luck with the third row of seats. But I believe it is available on 9-5 SportWagon.

This link might help too

Honestly I would go to a dealer and check there. Radek

Reply to
Radek & Gabriela

No. A third row was planned for the 9-5 SW, but when Saab saw the crash test result for the third row the plans were abandoned. The idea of placing an extra row of seats (for kids) in the crumple zone of a car scares me.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Uff, I thought so. It seems like really stupid idea to have it there. I'm always frightened when I see somebody with kids in the third seats in Volvos on a freeway. Very ugly to imagine what would happen if they would get rearended with an SUV. Which is honestly very likely because people in these beasts can not really see very well because brake lights of a normal car are just to low for them. I would like to see braking distances for these monsters.

Radek

Goran Larss> >

Reply to
Radovan Biciste

Would it be worse than getting hit from the side by the same SUV?

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Reply to
Radovan Biciste

You're probably right. I was just curious about the damage caused by a rear impact compared to a side impact.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

I've seen Volvo wagons that were hit in the rear pretty hard, it really takes a tremendous amount of force to crush into the passenger compartment significantly, a hard enough collision that I really wouldn't want to be sitting anywhere in the vehicle at the time. That said, the rear facing seat is meant for occasional use only, I rode in one sometimes as a kid and they're not very comfortable, it's better though than sitting on someone's lap or loose in the cargo area if the rest of the seats are occupied.

Reply to
James Sweet

You obviously didn't have one of the old American-made wagons. My family had a 1987 Buick Electra Estate Wagon when I was a kid (and I drove it from 1998 until I bought my Saab this year). The rear seats were just as comfortable as the middle seats and there was actually more leg room back there. Plus, you got to make stupid faces at the cars behind you, which is a lot of fun when you're 6 years old.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

We've been here before, but I still don't get it. What are these dinosaur

4x4 SUVs for when you drive on tarmac most of the time?

I can observe that compared to a ordinary salon cars they handle and brake badly and are able to barrel roll when e.g. avoiding an obstacle. They are slow unless fitted with a gigantic engine, drink twice as much petrol (gas), not very comfortable, difficult to park, expensive to maintain and repair.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

No it was a Volvo we were talking about, and comfortable or not you wouldn't catch me riding in the back of a Buick wagon, I'd rather be a little uncomfortable in a nice safe Volvo than nice and comfy in a deathtrap.

Reply to
James Sweet

Even being from the land of the gas guzzler I have to admit I don't understand it either, but I'm sure plenty of people don't understand my choice of vehicles either. In their defence, the SUV's I've ridden in have been quite comfortable and no more difficult/expensive to maintain and repair than a typical car, but all the rest of the pitfalls you state are certainly true. It's handy to have access to a big truck but I certainly wouldn't want to take one grocery shopping or to work every day.

Reply to
James Sweet

The rear-facing seat in the Saab 95 isn't all that uncomfortable, actually. Usually, though, the under-seat footwell is full of tools, spare parts, the jack, and all that good stuff.

Of course. Can't beat that.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
Buzz

Weren't happy with the answers everyone gave the first time you asked?

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Reply to
Buzz