Monitors need reset

My 1996 Saab 900S did not pass the Tennessee emisions test. The reason given was "Monitors need reset," and the issues were:

  1. Heated O2
  2. Catalytic converter
  3. Evaporative control
  4. Secondary air

What does all that mean? Just want to mention that my "Check Engine" light never turned "ON" prior to the test failure and I know for sure that the lightbulb is not burned out.

Reply to
Explorer

Rather strange reason for failure. Usually they complain when you've done the reset recently and they think you are hiding a problem.

I general, the check engine should light when you get a code in the computer but I think it does watch for multiple occurrences before it lights the dash light.

If there are Autozone stores near you, go to one. Ask them to read the codes out of the computer and tell you what they see. It should match the above list (mostly). Then have them reset the computer. They will do all that for free.

I don't know how re-inspection is (if you pay for it, etc) but I'd try for a re-inspection. The only issue I see is that, if they are like other states, they'll complain about the reset unless you drive a lot of miles.

Lastly, I'd guess you actually have a problem with that car. You may or may note get through inspection but you should get it fixed. My guess would be a bad O2 sensor, they are not uncommon failures. If it's been gone a long time you may have cat converter issues. You'll need to do some testing/work or have a shop do it for you.

Reply to
still just me

Thanks very much. I replaced the O2 sensor last year, and the secondary air pump after that because it froze. Though I never knew that Autozone can reset the computer. Thanks again.

Reply to
Explorer

Makes more sense...probably there was a code stored in the computer from those failures. Because it was very old, the emissions test flagged it as "old and unreliable".

In that case, get it reset. Drive a while so that they don't fail you for too few hours, then re-tst.

Reply to
still just me

If it is a motronic car(non-turbo) the flags will reset each time the key is turned off. It has been a random occurring problem here in the Great NW, and is the nature of that vehicle. Have you tried an emissions test with this vehicle before? It can be a frustrating battle with the tester, but the car has to complete a drive cycle to set everything to ready, and be taken in to the test facility on the same key cycle. Without turning key off, the test facility can read that all status' are 'ready'. Then the key can be cycled to check mil operation. If it is a turbo car, then it needs to be driven through a drive cycle until all tests have ran and passed. Of course if there are stored codes, that will not happen. Clearing the codes will reset everything to 'unready'. You might talk to a service facility, or Saab dealer, and see if they are familiar with this. The drive cycle is a specific criteria designed for each test to run, a service facility may have some information on this for you. Good luck. Gerald

Reply to
squid