Rover 416 failed MOT due to high CO emission

Hi group,

My Rover 416i (1996 P-reg) just failed its MOT due to high CO during the emissions test. When I had it serviced a couple of months ago, the mechanic did tell me that because I mostly use the car for short trips around town and to/from work (only a 15 min trip) that was the reason for the high CO output. I did try taking the car for a run on a 60mph road for about 10-20 mins before the test but obviously that didn't help. So, my question is, should I take it out on a longer run before it's re-test or should I get it checked for a possible problem? The car's not showing any problem signs and did pass all the other MOT check items. For reference here are the figures from the emission tests:

Natural idle: Engine speed: 877 rpm (pass) CO level: 0.27% (pass)

Fast idle: Engine speed: 2700 rpm (pass) CO level: 0.63% (fail - max allowed 0.3 %) HC level: 53 ppm (pass - well below max of 200 ppm) Lambda: 1.01 (pass - almost perfect, should be between 0.95 -

1.09)

Second fast idle: Engine speed: 2777 rpm (pass) CO level: 0.68% (fail) HC level: 85 ppm (pass) Lambda: 0.99 (pass - again almost perfect)

I look forward to hearing your views/opinions and thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Cheers, Salim.

Reply to
Salim Gulam

your CO level wasnt that high, which means there is probably nothing wrong with your ECU or any other sensor...............however unfortunatly it looks like your catalytic converter has given up. there were prone to premature failure but would sometimes pass if they were red hot just prior to the emmisions test. (i'm an mot tester myself) if the mot tester was a fair bloke he might have given you a second shot at the test to make sure the cat was really hot, even though the only temperature requirement for the catalyst test is that the engine oil temp exceeds 80 degrees. however a new catalyst will solve this problem instantly looking at your result figgures (guaranteed) the upside is that replacement catalytic converters are less than half the price they used to be since there are so many manufacturers making them now...shop around for one, but dont pay more than £150.00 excluding fitting.

one final note, just to correct your lambda requirements, this figgure should be between 0.97 and 1.03 but as you say yours was pretty good.

hope this helps.........

Reply to
steve

£150 ? £58 from
:)
Reply to
Nom

i said dont pay more than £150............read closely.........there are still companys that will supply a stainless steel one for over £200............ i dont doubt you can get one for £58.probably plus vat..probably plus delivery if ordering....and at the end of it all you'll get what you pay for.

Reply to
steve