My left leg gets a workout

Greetings fellow Saabophiles,

I have a 1995 900S with a very heavy clutch (much harder to press than the clutch in my wife's car, also a 1995 900S).

Obviously, there is a spring against which I am pushing. Where is this spring and is it possible/advisable/easy to replace it with an easier one?

It's not really a problem in normal driving, but it gets pretty tiresome when I'm in stop-and-go traffic.

Thanks for any advice!

Reply to
Doug Schwarz

It's not the spring, and the spring is not adjustable. Either the clutch is worn, or the cable is acting up. Either replace or have replaced the cable. That fixes 9 out of 10 of these problems. FYI - if the cable is that tight, it may break soon. Attend to this problem.

Reply to
still me

Thanks for your comments, but I don't think it's the cable. The clutch has been heavy since the car was new and there was no change (in that, anyway -- I did notice a bit less friction) when the cable was replaced after it did break some time ago. No mechanic has ever mentioned the force as a problem so I have no reason to suspect that the cable is about to break again.

Reply to
Doug Schwarz

Well, they do go after 50K miles, so keep aware. THe only other things it could possibly be are the pressure plate or the arm that pulls the yoke. I've never heard of the yoke being an issue. The pressure plates come in differing spring rates (higher rates for the higher HP turbos) but it is unlikely that your car has a turbo clutch in it - and there should still not be that much difference.

Reply to
still me

!? I've had 3 900's / 9000's with over 180k miles on them, and my current

9-5 Aero has 80k miles, and I've never had a clutch cable go.
Reply to
Gary Fritz

Most of those don't have a cable operated clutch. The 900's might if they are from '94-'98.

Reply to
still me

Yeah you're right, they do have a cable.

We had a UK 1994 900s and the clutch was definitely heavy. However, it was the most reliable Saab we've ever owned, (2 C900's and 2 9000's as well as the NG900s)

Clutch and cable were changed by garage we bought from as they agreed it felt heavy, but didn't make any difference and never had any further problems the 4 years we owned it. (with anything other than consumables)

Al

Reply to
Al

The 900's and 9000 were all '86-'89.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

My 1984 99 had a cable-operated clutch and the cable broke on me once.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Hi Doug-

I purchased a 1995 900s last year and felt the same about the clutch. I lived with it until the cable broke and replaced it myself. We thought with proper "adjustment" it might be better. (pulling on the cable and letting go! Easiest adjustment EVER!) However, we've learned from several other SAAB folks that it's pretty common for the NG900 to feel this way. It is kinda rough in traffic, but damn, my left leg sure is sexy! Maybe trade cars with your wife..... ;)

Rachel C.

Reply to
Rachel C.

Must be a unique car, all my 99s have had hydraulic clutches? Now my Lotus Elite has a cable clutch!

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

I drove it for a couple of miles after it broke and I replaced it before driving it again. As for it being unique,...

Reply to
Everett M. Greene