'87 Jetta Clutch

I bought an '87 Jetta for a low price because it Needs Work. The engine starts and runs reasonably well but the clutch will not disengage.

I am an experienced D-I-Y mechanic but this is my first Volkswagen.

The clutch pedal is at normal height and has normal free play. I removed the clutch cable and it is perfect. While doing that I heard a "clunk" and discovered the press fit transaxle end cover (with the VW logo) had fallen out. It had been removed at some previous time and reused (even though it should have been replaced). Somebody has been into this tranny before me.

I removed the clutch release shaft and clutch lever. No wear, no cracks. The clutch release bearing (throwout bearing) rides suspiciously deep in its bore. I removed that bearing and the clutch pushrod. They look fine.

What am I up against? These ideas come to mind.

1) A four-speed pushrod was installed in this five-speed transaxle. What is the length of the five-speed pushrod?

2) The clutch pressure plate diaphragm spring is fractured.

3) ???

Please advise.

Daniel B. Martin

Reply to
Daniel B. Martin

Dan

Get a bently and study how the clutch releases. The release bearing pushes a rod. The rod pushes on a plate that has a button in the center. The outter diamater of the plate pushes the clutch spring fingers and releases the clutch disc. Several areas of failure here. A end could be off the rod. The button could be off the plate the rod contacts. The pressure plate could just be worn out. Your going to need to remove the trans to find out what's going on. Also some have had broken cv joints where the axel would just spin and have mistaken it for other problems.

Jo Bo.

Reply to
Jo Bo
[snip]

I agree with JoBo. Sounds like either the spring plate (look for a missing weld, or button or whatever, at the center of the disc) or a failed clutch disc. Whatever the case, once you get to the clutch, replace it and have the flywheel crowned.

As for the release bearing arm breaking, a crack can be very difficult to spot. Apply pressure to the end of the arm and pull on the lever to check for a crack.

Can you change gears when the car is off?

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Thank you and Jo Bo for your responses.

I borrowed Chilton and Haynes from the public library. I also have Bentley for the '80-'84 Jetta which has a similar transaxle.

I can change gears easily when the engine is not running.

It seems most likely the problem is in the clutch itself rather than the clutch actuating mechanism. Alas...

Just as a matter of curiosity, do you know why VW uses a clutch which is "backward" compared to most cars? I suppose there is some advantage to this design but it is not obvious.

Daniel B. Martin

Reply to
Daniel B. Martin