new 9-5 epsilon 2???

They must have this wrong...

It's actually simply a revamp on this existing platform. And an ugly one at that. The 9-5 always had an elegant timeless style. It didn't need a major new and radical nose job. Mostly just the interior needed to be updated. Too bad...since the designers did great work on the 9-3 combi, but really blew this one.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Yeah the front end treatment doesn't do anything for me.

I really liked the 2005 9-5 front/rear but the 2006 is a downgrade in my opinion.

Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr

no they did not get it wrong. the platform is indeed borrowed from the epsilon totally in Line with the SAAB traditions, cause mind you over the years SAAB designed only 2 platforms: the 99 and the 9000 together with the italo's of lancia and fiat. all the other types are little more than new bodywork on the same platform! the classic 900 is a 99 platform with new bodywork. the 9000 stands alone but the rest uncluding the 9-5 are just 9000 platforms with different bodywork

if you own multiple saabtype and are you own mechanic like myself you quickly learn that a lot of parts are interchangeblefor instance the biggest difference between a 99 and a 900 C is the length of the driveshafts. in the

900 they are longer cause the bodywork and the wheels are broader than in a 99

same goes for SAAB-powerplants: after the twostroke era ended in

1963/1964saab used the ford V4 to finish the 96 series and for the brandnew 99 they developed the fourcylinder in line engine that SAAB still uses today in all its petrol driven cars. My 9-5 has the same engine only with lots of electronic gadgets to meet environeent demands. the basic engine however is still the same.

if one of my 99 engines brakes down and I can not get a good 99 engine I simply use a 900C engine that fits after exchanging the driveshafts for 99 driveshafts. I even have a 1979 99 fitted with a 900 turbo engine that fits like a glove in the 99.too bad I don't own one of the originals 99turbo's since they are worth a fortune today!

Harrie

Netherlands

Reply to
harrie van Dijk

Model year 1967 (august 1966 - juli 1967)

they first used a 96 body, cut it in half lengthwise and widened it 20 cm... (see "Paddan")

Reply to
MH

Not to mention the 92/93/95/96 platform. Each of which, literally, was a redesign of _either_ the front, or the back, half a car at a time.

1967.

Not really, it was basically a Triumph engine for the first several years.

I'd love to agree with you, but I don't even think it's the same block as an H-engine, let alone a B-engine or the Triumph engine.

I have one, would you like to buy it?

Ah...shipping would be a problem.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"harrie van Dijk" skrev i en meddelelse news:dltvhg$8ee$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.zwoll.ov.home.nl...

Eeeh, no they're not! The 9000 platform is....the 9000 platform. The NG900/9-3 is based on the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra A. The 9-5 is based on the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra B. The 9-3SS is based on the Opel/Vectra C (Epsilon I) platform.

Reply to
Henrik B.