No Service History - No Sale?

I'd be grateful to hear what you think about buying a low mileage '99 car without the service history book. I'm wary, but it's in such good condition that I'm tempted...

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it possible to get a duplicate? I'm sure it must be. The guy who's selling it says he's contacted the Saab garage who serviced it before he bought it and they know the car but haven't - as yet - supplied the replacement.

Has anyone else been through this? Any comments would be very welcome.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

newsonline ( snipped-for-privacy@ZAPSPAMblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

He'll be happy to give you the name of the garage, then - and since they remember it, they'll be happy to confirm the story, right...?

Reply to
Adrian

If you phone Saab UK during office hours they will gladly tell you over the phone what the service history of any Saab is with Saab dealers. Their records go back to at least 1986, (the earliest year I've asked for SH)

Al

Reply to
Al

The book does not mean anything. I saw it faked when I was looking for a car.

What is the 99? 1999? What model and which dealer is supposed to have serviced it?

Get in touch with the dealer yourself :-)

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll definitely call the dealer before going ahead - just wondered if it was possible to get a duplicate book.

Best

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

I think what matters more is the condition of the vehicle. A '99 with low miles has not likely had much done to it and there are few prescribed services that matter aside from changing oil and coolant. I would lean to having a mechanic look it over.

Reply to
still me

That's a very interesting point and makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Reply to
newsonline

Not sure what car this is, but some of the 4 cyl models had a problem with sludge buildup if the oil was not changed more often than spec.

I had my car checked and it was fine. I think it cost around $150 to have the oil pan pulled and the sump cleaned and the sludge condition checked.

Charles

news> I'd be grateful to hear what you think about buying a low mileage '99 car

Reply to
Charles

He mentioned '99, I believe that predates any sludge issues.

Reply to
still me

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Seems like we're on the road to getting a duplicate service book - and the invoices for work done from the original two garages who dealt with its serving to date. I'll be taking it in for a 30,000 miles service locally - so hopefully, everything will be flying straight and level from then on. All the comments have been really appreciated - thanks to everyone.

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

I thought it affected all 9-5s from day one until ???. But the OP has not said if it is a 9-3 9-5 or v6.

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.