Service History

My car is coming up for its fifth service (40k miles). It currently has a full set of service stamps in the service book.

According to the schedule, the next service simply involves replacing filters, checking levels and inspecting things like the brake system, all things that I'm perfectly capable of doing myself.

My concern, however, is that any buyers in the future may be put off that I haven't had it serviced by a garage.

My intention was to do the service by the book and keep all the receipts for filters/oil etc.

Would this be enough to satisfy a future buyer that the car has been properly maintained?

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

For most of my motoring life I have carried out my own servicing. I always completed the appropriate page in the servicing record and kept receipts. I also keep a maintenance 'log' - just a small notebook in which I make a note of everything I do to my car - such as replacing tyres and w/screen wiper rubbers. I have never yet had any problem with trading a car in and would argue that a car maintained by a competent and conscientious owner is likely to have been far better looked after than a car serviced by a sloppy junior mechanic at a dealership. In recent years I have been buying either new or nearly new cars which have (until recently) required dealer servicing to maintain warranties. I invariably find cause for dissatisfaction after such servicing.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in news:ddhoug$igv$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

It depends on how long you intend to keep it for. In my case, I've had my car for 5 years and the amount I've saved on garage servicing is greater than the loss in value from not having a service history. Saying that, I haven't managed to sell it yet ;-)

Like Kev says, keeping your own record is a good idea and the astute older car buyer will be more impressed with that than a collection of ink stamps. I slipped up badly by not doing this with my own car.

Reply to
Stu

Personally i would be more assured by a nice fat enevelope of receipts and invoices than a few stamps on a service history with nothing backing it up. Matt

Reply to
Matt F

And with a program such as MS Money on your pc you can keep a full record on an account named 'Car Expense'. My nerdy side has kept records of every item -servicing, even the odd puncture, replaced light bulbs and cost, where and when of fuel fillups. Print it out or give it to the new owner on a cd. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Hi

One thing to watch. The anti-perforation paint warranty on some cars is linked to the servicing schedule. In most cases this warranty is valid for

6 years.

Strange I know, but apparently when your car is in for a service, the garage technicians or workshop manager are supposed to check your car for any signs of corrosion. If there's a problem - then it's flagged up and the warranty honoured.

My only concern is by doing the servicing yourself - you may invalidate the anti-perforation paint warranty.

Weigh up a couple of things - can you do the servicing yourself? Is the car a high performance model with specific tools required for servicing? Some cars have onboard computers that have to be reset, etc.

I do my own servicing (apart from changing timing belts), but as long as you keep all receipts and follow the schedule meticulously you shouldn't effect the resale value.

Spart

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completionx-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
spart

Depends on the vehicle, my last car a MK4 gti turbo was less than 3yrs old when purchased, I was sorely dissapointed with the quality of detail paid tothe car at the 'big' service, when I did go to sell it, I explained to the purchaser that the in between service is just oil and filter change and there was no way I was gonna pay VW 140quid, I kept the receipts for the parts etc even bulbs, my corrado I kept for 8yrs and like another poster mentions , what I saved on service made up for the loss in not having the FSH, besides that buyers nowadays are well tight, fortunately I sold the MK4 to the 1st buyer that saw the vehicle in the flesh.

Reply to
Avanti