Orca's cosmetic surgery ... Finished!

It's done, at last. Here's what an Orca looks like after a little surgery...

She certainly shiny!

White grille to match the car ... and the wheels!

... in all her splendour :)

Cirrus White Super Inca wheels 8)

"Arty" shot of the vent cover.

Needless to say, I'm pleased as punch and keep driving past buildings with mirrored glass :P

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Paul - that looks terrific.

I'd love to get my 9K re-sprayed.. any idea how much yours cost to do?

Cheers

Reply to
Nasty Bob

in article snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com, Nasty Bob at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 22/08/2006 15:35:

Thank you very much ... I keep driving past buildings with mirrored glass :) It's almost like getting to drive a brand new one ... almost.

I don't mind saying ... I paid 1500 UKP, which comprised:

Removal of bodykit Removal and disposal of 2x doors, bonnet and OSF wing Supply 2x second hand doors, second hand bonnet and new OSF wing Re-build inner OSF wheel arch and area inside engine bay Paint inside(s) of above parts and fit to car Re-fit bodykit with new rails/runners Re-fit door parts/workings and what-not, including second hand window regulator for the NS Prepare, mask and spray entire car, except for tailgate (which is a job to do in a short while with the possible addition of a Schüssler spoiler) Meanwhile ... Send 4x wheels for re-furbishment, prime, spray & lacquer in Cirrus White to match the car Also ... Prepare, prime, spray & lacquer grille in Cirrus White to match the car ... Re-fit mesh in the front grille and rear vent covers Finally, lacquer entire car (except for tailgate, as above) Finally, finally ... Waxoyl everywhere :) Wash & polish

... Oh, and return the following day for one final rivet on the bodykit, chat and general admiration of the car 8)

Yes, that's a very enviable price, I know, but I am a long standing customer with the garage. The car was with them for three weeks, which allowed them to get on with other jobs and dip into my job as and when, which provides a less pressured job. I'm sure other garages that would "do a respray" would simply do the job and move onto the next. My advice? Keep your local SAAB independent in business with a nice re-spray job and don't pressure them :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Thanks for the details Paul. Like you say, that sounds very reasonable considering the amount of extra work & parts etc. The paint on my aero is just starting to bubble at the top edge of the windscreen. I figure it's not going to get any better, so I might as well go for a new screen. Just not sure whether to go for a localised touch-up paint job or a complete re-spray... The rest of the car's in pretty good nick, but it would be great to see her in "as new" condition. Whatever, it'll have to wait a while - just blown over =A31,000 on a gearbox :(

Cheers Now you'll just have to keep away from supermarket trolleys for a few months...

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Yes, that's a very enviable price, I know, but I am a long standing customer with the garage. The car was with them for three weeks, which allowed them to get on with other jobs and dip into my job as and when, which provides a less pressured job. I'm sure other garages that would "do a respray" would simply do the job and move onto the next. My advice? Keep your local SAAB independent in business with a nice re-spray job and don't pressure them :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S

Paul, I reckon Phil and Phil did you proud for that money! I haven't got £1500 or anywhere near it now, but sometime soon I need a similar job doing.

I totally agree , look after your mechanics and they'll look after you. I reckon the leave it with them for a few weeks plan is worthwhile too, as long as they have the room. It can be a bit tight for space there as we both know!

Anyway, Orcas looking superb. Hope to see you around in her soon, I'll wear my shades just in case!

Al

P.S. I think you should consider renaming her, Sharon, Tracy .....;-)

Reply to
Al

in article Pz3Hg.36503$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 23/08/2006 22:15:

Well, you can't miss it :)

Those wheels certainly are patent white ... I wonder what the Swedish equivalent of a Sharon, Tracy or Tina is?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Yes I often notice that: Drivers with big shades and their jacket collar unfolded high behind their neck. Do they imagine that they are Michael Shumacher or something?

Reply to
Johannes

Congrats man. It looks fabulous.

Reply to