OT - in car MP3 players (UK bias)

Hi all,

I thought I'd share this, in case anyone's thinking of an MP3 player for their Saab (or any other car for that matter).

I've just fitted a Sony CDX MP40 to my partner's 900 16vT, and we're very pleased with it. It takes a CD full of MP3s, which means 200+ tracks on a single CD.

It even comes with a remote control (?), presumably in case you want to give back seat passengers control over your audio (why?).

It cost a very reasonable £140. I won't advertise where I got it, it's easily googleable (but if you're stuck finding it, email me).

I can't wait to fit one in *my* 900 16vT, but that'll have to wait a few weeks.

Reply to
Grunff

I've been waiting for affordable in-car mp3 players for years, but now that they've arrived, I think I'll wait a little longer until one of them exchanges the cd-drive for a dvd-drive.

Not because I'm interested in playing videos in my car, but because you could fit almost 7 times as many mp3's on such a disk. If you look at the prices for computer cd and dvd players, the price difference should be minimal.

70 albums on a disk with a shuffle setting is beginning to sound interesting.

X.

Reply to
Xenna

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

I've fitted a PC in the boot. So far I have 10 gigs of MP3 (using Audio Soft e-jukebox for databasing the MP3's I'm listening to (it keeps stats of what you've played in a database and when no album or artist is selected will switch to playing the most popular tracks, so you don't need to fiddle arround with stuff whil on the move), and can do Satnav/routing using Mappoint and AGPS.

The Mk1 version is using a full sized ATX motherboard, and a cheep composite 7" widescreen, but I've just bought a cheap 12" VGA TFT panel of E-Bay, just waiting for delivery to be arranged. Should make the screen experience much nicer. MK1 uses quite a bit of boot space, and needs an inverter for power. I use the antenna remote line to isolate the inverter after I shutdown to avoid battery drain(and to repower the computer when I switch on the headunit). MK2 will use a Via Epia board, and a dedicated 12v DC input Car PSU, and be small enough to either fit into the glove box, or hide behind the trunk side carpet.

I've used a USB2 slim DVD drive that sits between the seats to allow me (passengers really) to view DVD's, and for me to add extra MP3 (got about another 8 gig to add).

I get instant access to the MP3's about 30 seconds after switching on the radio (time it takes to come back from hibernation.

Sat routing is nice when I have a longish journey to make, and no passenger to navigate. Means I don't have to juggle driving and map reading, and only need to stop for comfort/rest breaks.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Cooool! That is exactly the kind of setup I've been planning for ages, but having the time to put it together is another matter entirely.

Reply to
Grunff

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Have a look at

they have a very active forum of people looking to do exactley what I have (but many are already one step further).

Some are even working on 1 and 2 din systems, and one of the regulars is working on a VGA motorised 1 din screen with touch screen (having it made in Taiwan) to sell through his online shop.

£1k to 1.5k would get you a full system to which you can add your own software/OS etc with a clamp on/stick on screen. £2k would probably get you the same system with the in dash motorised screen.

Using all the bastardised parts, the inverter and the composite screen, mine has probably cost me in the region of £500, but it is far from perfect.

Mk2 is to build my own mini system with VGA of some kind Mk3 will hopefully be instalable for other people for a fee.

I know the better systems sound pricy, but the plan is to eliminate the headunit entirely, and do FM through the PC using a usb FM tuner too.

And what does a proper modular car DVD, seperate proper Sat Nav, and in dash motorised composite screen , TV tuner, and radio cost? And you can't even have your kids use it for games when moving.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo