Re: need a good motor ? free car included....

i reallly need to get rid of my 88 saab 9000 turbo

> so i can get something else to fix up to drive back and forth to work > right now i am trying to sell it on ebay > the aution is technically for the motor but the rest of the car goes with it > as well >
&item=2432530241 > > > hmm re attach teh rest of the link and it will work its seems to split the > link when i paste it > > > i am in longview ,washington usa

Hey Clayton. Seen that it sold.

Do you still have plans for the CarPC.

I've yet to get some photos, but mine is in and running. Based on an Epia M10000 Nehmiah, and powered by an inverter, and a

250watt ATX PSU.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

lol oops been a while since i checked the newsgroup sorry yeah its all sitting on a shelf right now waiting for a good car to install it in i may have a chance at a 86 subaru rx turbo 5speed dual range

email me directly and i will giva ya some specs on my carpc

Reply to
clayton

Will do. BTW do you use the forums over at MP3car.com? Seems very Familiar?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

yeah i do on forums/chat area's i go by oddcomp

still trying to sell teh saab the people want more than i wanna spend on the rx

Reply to
clayton

Thought I recognised the name in your email from there, and from the site about the car.

Good luck with getting the PC built eventually.

Don't think I've listened to the radio more than once in mine since I fitted the PC.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

oh i have it built i have had it installed in my s-10 blazer but the front end on my s-10 is to quirky to make it safe to drive and it eats a bit more gas than i like especially when my drive to work is a half hour so its kinda been retired hence forth the on teh shelf status of car pc i am now rolling in the ""wife's"" :) subaru gl-10 turbo wagon that has been slightly modded by me all in the name of fuel economy of course.... granted the side effect of being able to lay waste to most riced out farty piped cars is nice hehe and since my son and nice and nephew are usually in the car when the wife drives it during the day i decided that installing my car pc in it was not the wisest choice...

any quick run down via epia 800

256 meg ram laptop cd rom laptop 12g drive 12v inverter running a emachine sized atx psu eventually to be a true dc-dc psu it was a 5.6 tv type lcd but my son knocked it off the table and it has lines in it now i did score a datalux vga to tft lcd controller with touch screen capability and have a choice of a 10 11 or 12 " lcd panel that i have wish i had something smaller and i need ot get some 31 pin hirose connectors to make a cable for the lcd and get the appropriate sized touch overlay ..

oh yeah and my own car to put it all back in since it don't look like i can find a affordable tranny for the saab and not having anyluck selling it off as a parts car even though the motor is good

yeah i know my typing sux what do ya expect for just getting off graveyard shift lol

Reply to
clayton

Mine run in takes about 40 mins to an hour. one Album will usually surfice unless traffic is stupid, and I'm delayed.

I'm using the 4AM music console for MP3 ATM. So I start one Album worth, then queue up a second just in case. Then I don't need to touch it while driving. Haven't used the GPS for about a month, as I ahven't really been anywhere apart from my usual commute, but it is useful when I do.

In a Family car, it would probably be more hassle than it is worth, unless you force yourself to be one of those control freak fathers that expect any passenger in the car to just sit there through out the journey and do nothing.

Yeah, would love to go the DCDC route, but Opus don't have a UK/Euro distributor ATM, and I would need the inverter still as the monitor has a weird 12/5v split 5 pin Din style plug.

I went the Inverter route Myself. Did by one of those mini ATX PSUs, but it failed after 1/2 and hour(don't know whether it terminally burned out, or just overheated. Ended up putting the 250watt ATX back in that I used in the large box I had as version one in the boot/trunk.

Went with an Epia Nehmiah M10000, and 512 meg DDR. I located a nice external USB2 DVD player that is small enough to sit under the rear seat poking out on the centre tunnel, but is tucked far enough away to not be stepped on when I carry rear seast passengers.

I did have composite STN panel, that I mounted on a swivel arm like a cell phone using a speaker mounting bracket (in house type).

But when I rebuilt it, I went with a 10.4" TFT VGA desktop screen that I ripped out of it's case.

I bought one of the 10.4" Touch kits from Armin, but had to cut up the Saab 900 centre console (the lower console that colds the cubby and din slot) and widen it with an MDF frame, then lots of fibreglass and filler to rebuild it, and sprayed it satin black with Plastic bumper paint.

It isn't perfect, and the filler is a little wavy, but as the interior is a little dark it doesn't show so badly.

Two of the sales drones at work have seen it. they are both retail gadget freaks, one has a PS2 and GPS in his Boxster, the other has full DVD multichanger, Sat Nav, and multimedia in his M3. They both use 7" screen.

The guy with the Boxster said, "You built that for £5-600 (I did salvage bits from the junk box, and Ebay for the secondhand screen), my Screen cost me £1000,( but it does Fold away)

The Guy with the M3 said "You Geek". I think he was just jealous that I had better screen display, and currently about 40 Albums when his all singing all dancing Multi changer only does 15.

Whats affordable? What is the body like? With the Prices that Saabs fetch over hear, it might be worth finding a bodyily shot one, and getting the trans from that (is it auto or manual). then just junk the rest, or donate that to anyone who wants the remains.

Don't worry, did three years of manual work on the night shift, so i know what you mean.

Hopefully, when I redevelop it further, I'll get a better Headunit with decent either AUX in, or a CD changer port with an Aux hack, instead of the slightly crackly FM modulator.

Good luck with sorting out the 9k.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

so what ya gonna do with the mini itx psu?

nice setup you got going on

the body is not bad some rusted out spot here and there the spare tire well is rusted through nothing a wire feed welde and some sheet metal can't cure not gonna worry about body work till it tolls under is own power the interior is kinda so-so not bad but needs some help i don't belive i am on the same side of the pond as you so finding a tranny "over there" then getting it over to here might be a bit expensive :) uk to usa shipping and all you want a opus? send me money and i'll send you a opus hmm forgot what else i was gonna say ... perhaps whilst if fix some stuff and enjoy my breakfast of juice and everclear i will remember :)

i am far from a control freak and my wife hates complicated things you know like power buttons and such lol maybe i will get her a mini van and keep the subaru for me hmm wonder how close of a match the 2.0 saab turbo would be on a 1.8 subaru turbo motor ... hmmm perhaps will wait till i go programmable fuel injection when i finish building it shame the inter cooler in the 9k's is so huge won't fit the suby lol but would fit nicely in say a isuzu trooper 2 :) been thinking of getting one of those to fix up and turbo and put the car pc in

what kinda manual work did you do ? i am gonna go try and remember what i was gonna say lol

Reply to
clayton

I've mailed the company I bought it from, but they haven't replied. Don't plan anything else yet.

Works quite well, just don't have any photos yet.

No yards near you a pick-a-part, where wyou might be able to pull your own new (used)tranny?

I used to work for Safeway, over here. Working overnight making sure that the store was fully stocked for the morning, pulling in, unloading about 30 pallets from the truck, filling the shelves, and then reloading leftovers back onto pallets, and then clearing them away.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

oh we got those types of yards but no saabs in em

i work at a dry ice plant making and cutting the stuff and hauling it around in 60-70 lb blocks we do around 20k lbs a night all hand bagged and put into large boxes :) plus loading trailers and me fixing broken equipment since well who are ya gonna call at 3 am lol

Reply to
clayton

Sounds like a great job for the summer.

But a real pig when the air temp drops below Zero?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

the ice we make is -109 f in teh summer it hotter than hell in there cause it just a huge metal shack with crappy ventilation and the building retains heat one of those built by 5 diff contractors with no master plans type of things lol

just glad i am not on day or swing shift in the summer it does get real cold at night in the winter tho either stand infront of the 50,000btu diesel heaters or go stand next to the compressor

thats why i have a thick set of thermal overall's

Reply to
clayton

Never thought about the heat kicked out by any kind of freezer capable of freezing C02 TBH. I know those kind of buildings too.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo