Pirelli P-Zeros? Life expectancy?

I have an 04 9-3ss Aero with the stock Pirellis P-Zeros (on the 17" rims). I just swapped on new Goodyear Eagles (on 16" rims) for winter driving (wow...these work great! just tested them in 6" of snow, up steep, slick hills in Maine on Thursday).

In any event, having them off the car, I noticed really bad wear on the P-Zeros (the fronts). At only 11k miles, it seems like they have worn altogether too fast. Any thoughts? Anyone offhand know the warranty on these? Lemme guess...10k miles.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Check out

& look up your model of P-Zeros & read the reviews. These are usually pretty informative. My experience with Pirelli's (I've run them on a '99 M3 & my wife's '00 9-5 Aero) go along the lines of above avg. performance but below avg. life expectancy; especially with aggressive driving tendencies. I've gone to Kumho Ecsta's on the Saab - great tire for a great price - & back to OEM Michelin's on the M3. Michelin Alpin's are what I run Dec. thru Feb.

- phlood -

Reply to
phlood

Did you rotate them at the recommended interval? Saab recommends 7500 miles in the manual. The Pirelli brochure that came with the car defers to the manual, but otherwise they recommend 3000-4000 miles.

I neglected to rotate mine, and the fronts were pretty bald when I swapped them for a winter set at 15000. I put the PZeros back on after the winter and rotated them from the original configuration. The new fronts are nearly bald again with just over 6000 miles on them.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

"Shane Almeida" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Fair enough...but at the dealer oil change at that interval, they didn't mention it to me. Figures.

Rotate every month??? Who in the world has time to do it that often?

Yikes...that's not saying much for the tire if they only last 6k miles.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Shane Almeida wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I put Pzero Nero M&S on a couple of months ago. So far they seem to be wearing well. Superb rain tire. Best tire in the wet I've ever used. I live in a very hilly region with a lot of twisty roads and the Pzeros really make a difference in on a wet road.

Reply to
Laura K

How do they compare with P6000's that seem to be the preferred tyre of a lot of Saab owners here in Australia?

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

You drive ~ 40k miles a year ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I wonder if rotating the tires at that interval would do much to extend the tread life. That's really why I was asking: I was curious if yours wore down quickly despite following the recommended maintenance.

Well, they only lasted 6000 up front, but the same pair had already done

15000 in the back.
Reply to
Shane Almeida

Gosh...what was I thinking when I wrote that comment??? Not sure how I interepreted "doing it monthly" out of that...I only do about 12k miles/year.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

"Shane Almeida" wrote in message

Doubtful...the tires rotated from the rear would simply be the ones taking the brunt of the wear at that point.

Same with mine (rears of course look untouched). When spring returns here, I'll probably have to buy new tires to replace the worn fronts.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

I ran P6000 'sport valice' (or whatnot) on my '99 9-3 prior to the tires I have on it now. 205/55/r16's -- And they lasted roughly 15K or so. Pretty bad for tires that are around $120/Tire.

I agree with everyone else; Pirelli's are great performance and really bad tire life. A tradeoff, I suppose. Although I drive 'sporty', I'm not one to spin the tires (on purpose...)

-bny

Reply to
bny

I've used both P6000 and P6000 Powergy. 195/65 R15.

The former lasted less than 20,000 km before the tyrewear indicator showed up on the front tyres. Really short lived.

But the latter, the Powergy version of P6000, lasted much, much longer. I'm still using the ones installed in Jan 2000 and have run them for over 50,000 km in both front and rear. Still the tyrewear indicator hasn't showed up and there's plenty of threads left.

I will expect old tyres to lose grip (the lower range P4000 is really bad in this regard) in the wet. But as I don't drive aggresively, I'm yet to notice it.

Reply to
ngu