Radiator blows cool air when idling only?

Have a 1992 Saab Turbo convertible. Heat works great when I'm driving. When I'm stopped and idling for more than 5 minutes, it goes to cool air and the temp gauge rises to hot. When I drive away, needle goes back down and heat comes back. Any idea what the problem might be?

Reply to
madison41

You have an air bubble in your heater core. Did you recently have the cooling system worked on? There should be a fitting on the firewall near the heater valve which lets you bleed the heater core; if it's not immediately obvious, say the word and one of us can provide more info.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thanks for the quick response Dave. I recently had some antifreeze added. Wonder if that is it? I'll check for the fitting on the firewall to bleed the core this weekend! Appreciate it.

Reply to
madison41

Thanks for the quick response Dave. I've added some anitfreeze and wonder if that's it? I'll look for the fitting on the firewall and bleed it this weekend. Apprecaite it!

Reply to
madison41

Does this explain the temp gauge rising to hot?

A bad water pump can cause both problems.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Muller

It could.

True, but bleeding the heater core is easier, cheaper, non-destructive, and plausibly a fix.

Reply to
Dave Hinz