rats...

My lovely 9-5 has just been written off by the insurance company :-(

I'm going to start looking for a replacement once the cheque arrives. Is there a sweet spot for the 9-5? Mine was a 97 model and had quite a few mechanical problems (turbo, head gasket -twice, throttle body, timing chain pully, DI cassette). Which model year would you recommend looking at - I won't be buying a brand new one? Unfortunately I can't fit in the 9-3, my legs are too long.

Or should I buy a late model 9000 instead?

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Barry

For the price of a reasonable 9-5 used, you could probably find a good

9000 CS Aero in a late model with decent History.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

That's a possibility. I've never driven a 9000.

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Barry

I'm a classic 900 owner myself. And while it was in for work, I had a

9000 2 litre LPT as a courtesy. Very nice car (a lot more modern even in basic cloth trim) than my 900. There is talk I've heard that a 9-5 is just a GM'd 9000, so it may not be as different for you.

the Aero had the 2.3 FPT engine, and the loverly Recaro leather "Batwing" seats that look more like they came out of a racing car or a good spec Porsche. the LPT I had was loverly and torquey lowdown, something I miss now I'm back in the 900 (full presure turbo with T3 lag). I imagine that a decent Aero with it's Trionic setup, and reasonable turbo should give more power than a good T16 (somewhere arround the 225-235 mark I think).

if you like your autos then look for a 2.3 Griffin.

Plus getting a decent 9k instead of more basic 9-5 should give you a few quid to cover any insurance needs, and even for a celebratery take away/out meal.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

And I've never driven a 9-5, but MY 2002 got improved suspension. Since the last MY for the 9000 was 1998, you rarely see them at the forecourt since the dealers prefer to sell newer models. But try Exchange & Mart. Any lpt or turbo is fast enough and possibly has lower insurance and maintenance cost than Aero.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

An LPT is has nice smooth creamy power delivery too.

It comes in nice and low, and just grumbles it's way upwards until you feel like changing.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

My 9000 CSE has the 16" Aero wheels that were on special offer from Saab dealers a few years back. It just gives the car an edge to the steering and of course looks nice too.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

In article , snipped-for-privacy@sizefitter.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Guy at work has a 9000 Aero in silver with all the trimmings. Was the bosses car originally, which then became a pool car, and then the Network managers company/own car.

It is getting really ropy looking now, because the company never spends anything on maintaining or replacing cars, just what the MOT needs.

But before the boss had it, it was the F3000 pace car for UK events, so has been suitabley breathed on. Is a little rattly and bounces arround a bit, but still sounds damned fine.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In the US at least, prices for the 1999 9-5s are really attractive. Then you still get a 9-5.

snipped-for-privacy@cta-uk.freeserve.co.uk

company :-(

forecourt

Reply to