2002 Miata info needed

OK, guys-gals-other, I'm looking at a replacement for the late-lamented Rollerskate.

Yes, I've checked the Mailing list archives, the TSBs and model year comparisons on Miata.Net and the various forums that might contain the info and so far only found a potential melting fog light problem.

I need opinions, preferably from 2002 owners, on the ins and outs of the

2002 version of the Miata. I've found a silver A/T that's a likely candidate for Rollerskate Part Deux, and it looks pretty good. It lacks a hard top and the Frankenbolts but that can be retrofitted or bargained for. I'm looking for potential mechanical/operational quirks, things I should check for before getting back in the saddle again.

Man, I can hardly wait. the sun's out, the snow's gone and I've got MAJOR Miata withdrawal symptoms. As soon as that $15,000 cheque from the insurance arrives, I want to hit the dealer and re-mobilize.

So. Opinions, suggestions, warning labels, whatever, are needed.

Thanks, folks!

Reply to
Nora

With new dealer discounts being pretty good, you ought to buy new

Reply to
Alesandra

Oops, I meant to say, that's $15,000 Canadian microbucks. New would be $27,000-$30,000; sorta beyond my finances at the moment.

Reply to
Nora

I recently purchased my Miata with Canadian Micro Bucks, But I spent them as far south as I could in San Diego. I don't know if travel plans are in your future but I found the farther south I went the less value people put on Miatae. Kinda weird huh. Importing was not to much hassle. Check out

and carfax is your friend. Also make the acquaintance of a friendly insurance dealer, you will need their help. I figure I saved 5 ~ 6 thousand CMBs.

Reply to
TBG

I was figuring on a search pattern of about 400 miles radius from the Montreal area, but finding one isn't the problem; I've already got about 3 candidates.

The page about importing US vee-hickles is interesting. I thought importing would be much more of a hassle than they indicate.

However, I need to know what quirks and minor inconveniences are in the nature of a 2002 Miata, as that's the front runner at the moment.

I know it's heavier; does this affect anything else? Was A/C standard on Canadian 2002's or was it an option? I know it has the key security thing; is this an inconvenience? I know it's got the surfboard seats; is this a good thing? I know it's got built-in fog lights; are they a PITA to clean the bugs out of? I know it's got "new improved" cupholders; are they? I know the mid-console storage compartment's shorter; is this bad? What about changing plug wires? They don't look easy to get at, as they were on the Rollerskate.

Reply to
Nora

"Nora" wrote in news:xN%uc.1$ snipped-for-privacy@charlie.risq.qc.ca:

I just sold my '02 Special Edition that I purchased new May '02. The only problem I had with the car was the speedo drive gear disintegrated (strangely enough while driving in Montreal). This part failure had never happened apparently in Canada. The only issue I had was a slightly notchy 1-2 gear shift when the 6 speed tranny was cold. That was remedied by changing the tranny oil to full synthetic (Redline). There were also some '02 cars that had issues with clutch chatter. This is a warranty issue and Mazda will replace the clutch if you experience this problem.

AC was not standard on all Canadian models in '02. It was standard on the Leather and Special Edition models.

The key fob controlled ignition immobilizer is a great security feature that locks/unlocks the doors and pops the trunk.

The seats are very good and supportive. Cloth is a better choice over leather if you enjoy "spirited" cornering or auto-crossing. I find I slide around in the leather too much. The "surfboard" look is to comply with impact laws. They also provide a pretty good shield from the wind going down the back of your neck on those brisk Canadian mornings in the spring and fall.

The foglights are VERY expensive from Mazda. Make sure you have protective rock guard film applied to them. If you do loose one go to Ford and order the lights from a Mercury Marauder. They are one third the price and are the same.

The cup holders are OK for going to work but you wouldn't want to say drive through the Rocky Mountains with a Snapple in them. I use them to hold my coins and driving gloves.

The mid console is now sized to fit CD's. I use it for that purpose, so it suits me fine.

The plug wires are different on the new engines. The plugwires have integrated "mini coils". I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them. We have people in our club with +80K Km and have not had any issues with plugwires.

One last observation is the tire that comes on the 16" rims. The Bridgestone Tourenzas are ok, not a track tire, not especially good in the rain, but predictable in a corner. After about 10-15K Km my tires caused the car to "track" on the road. I have talked to several people and they all had the same issue. I had my alignment checked several times and it was spot on. Changing the tires remedied this issue.

Hope this helps.

Rod in Calgary '04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 Turbo '90 Mariner Blue

"GO Flames GO!"

[Snip of 2002 description]

So what is the low down on the Mazdaspeed so far?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

rammm@REMOVE_THIS_TAGdommelen.net (Leon van Dommelen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Lovin' it so far :)

-Rod

Hi Nora, I thought I would respond to your request as best I could. I own a

2002 Silver Miata. I bought it off a new car lot and took it with the equipment that it had on it. This is my first Miata, so what sounds to me to be normal, may not be! I can't address vehicle weight, once you get the engine would up, it will get the blood pumping. The key security is quite a unique This very special and very expensive key is required to start and run the car. The key is available from the dealer. It has a computer chip in the handle. It makes you think about where your keys are before you lock anything up. A regular key from a key shop will open all the locks and even start the engine. The engine will not run long without the special key. I love the surfboard seats. It does not present the visibility problems that I had anticipated. I haven't noted any particular problems cleaning the fog lights. Just regular car washing seems to take care of it. Cup holders- There are one or two. The front one is the ashtray. It has a removeable insert that converts it to a cupholder if you don't smoke! I keep my cell phone there! The rear one, seems to be good enough for a traveling cup. I have had a long standing policy of no food or drinks in the car. So it serves as a junk container! You can't have too much junk! I haven't had anything to do with plug wires yet, but it is all right there on top, so I can't imagine it being too dificult. And finally, as you already know, Silver Miata's are very, very fast!!!!! Hope this helps I'll be happy to help if I can.

Rich

2002 Silver

"Nora" wrote in message news:xN%uc.1$ snipped-for-privacy@charlie.risq.qc.ca...

Reply to
Rich Lowe

Thanks all! The insurance cheque came in on Friday, and I'm hot-footing it (no Miata yet so it's foot) down to the dealer this evening to engage in a bit of horse-trading.

He lowered the price by $1500 last Thursday probably because he wants to unload it. It's been there for quite a long time, spring's almost over, and it's an A/T where most people with three feet want a manual :-)

I want him to throw in a painted hard top, Frankenbolts, painted mudguards and a windblocker.

Silver Miatas are indeed the fastest stealthiest colour around, closely followed by Crystal Blue. In the entire liason between me and the late lamented Rollerskate, I did not incur one ticket in four years of heavy-duty zooming, parking included, and it wasn't for want of trying!

We will see. Wish me luck!

Reply to
Nora

Nora, this may be too late, but don't do it! I've got a 2002 SE in Canada and it isn't fun to drive. I had a 1991 SE which I loved to pieces and I traded it in on this turkey. I thought I had the 'clutch judder' (which I found out about courtesy of this board) fixed by the dealership but it's just as bad as ever. The transmission gets really hot when you drive it around town. It's just annoying as hell. My

1991 SE was the best car I ever owned. This one is bucking for worst. I really wish now I'd test-driven the Honda--which would have been more expensive but is apparently a much better car--or the Mini--which wouldn't have been expensive and is apparently a much better car. I bought my car new. I'll drive it until I can stand it no longer and then I'm running away from Mazda as fast as my legs will carry me.

Reply to
Helen Heller

Have you tried swapping the transmission oil over to Redline MTL? My '02 SE certainly appreciated the change. I suppose I'm lucky that Redline is less than

10 minutes from me and I can will-call anything they make, but you can probably find it locally or mail-order it. Worth every penny.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I had clutch judder after the dealer changed the clutch. I had it changed again by an independent shop, telling them *not* to put an OEM plate in there. My clutch is fine now.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I had this done last month. Shudder seems to have completely disappeared.

What are the symptoms of a hot transmission?

Reply to
Stuart Lynne