Rattle

1985 900

I have a rattle seemingly coming from under the vehicle. It sounds something like heavy gauge sheet metal that is somewhat loose.

I was thinking it may be something in the exhaust system which hasn't had anything replaced or repaired in many years.

My favorite mechanic speculates (without having seen or heard) that it could be the timing chain which has never been touched in close to 100K miles of lifetime.

Is either of these scenarios likely?

[This is mostly a rhetorical question in that the car has a doctor's appointment for Tuesday.]
Reply to
Everett M. Greene

This does not sound like the chain.

It could be the exhaust bouncing against the underside of the car.

The chain is not under the vehicle either :-)

You will hear the chain best if you are driving with the windows open ... when you decelerate as the tension will be off it. I always heard chains rattling in a narrow road I drive through with high garden/house walls every side.

:-) Hope it is a cheap repair.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Everett,

When the timing chain failed on my '98 900 at 46k miles, the first sign was a loud scraping sound. I thought there was a JCB behind me with it's bucket scraping the road surface! However, this was accompanied by an almost total loss of power so, if you just have a loud metallic sound, it might actually be good news.

I wish my problem was the exhaust as I was quoted EURO 2k (=A31.4K) to replace the timing chain. Good look with your checkup on Tuesday

Mike

Reply to
mikeogrady

Thanks to you and Mike O'Grady for the replies.

Hey, I may be a dumb electrical engineer, but I know that! :-)

Speaking of cheap repairs, I had one of the V belts shred coming into Browning, Montana many years ago. Browning is a little place southeast of Glacier National Park and it was late on a Saturday afternoon. I found a repair place with some guys sitting around waiting to leave for the day. They willingly spent a couple of hours getting the belts reinstalled after remarking about the strange metric bolt sizes and the engine being backward. I was bracing myself for the bill when we were done. They asked for only US$50 which I gladly paid!

When I related the pricing to my favorite mechanic, he stated that I should feel free to return to the guys in Browning any time I needed work done! [It's only about

1000 miles to there from here...]
Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Watch out for the classic throwout bearing rattle, which is similar but disappears if you step on the clutch.

But, a timing chain is completely different from an exhaust thump or rattle.

Reply to
still just me