'00 max Mechanics Can't Solve.HELP. Rattle/Whiney

Hi, i own a 2000 maxima, 5 speed that I'm just about at my wits end with. It has 114,000 miles on it. I just recently took it accross the country (Mass to Vegas) But I was noticing the problem I will detail, long before the trip. It should be noted, however- that After the trip- and I mean right after, the problem has Magnified 10 fold.

I have two sounds( used to be just 1 until about a couple of days ago) The biggest sound is one that sounds like a strong rattle towards the front end of my car. It used to be that it took a lot to hear this rattle, and I couldnt hear it if i was in neutral, only when it was in gear. For the most part, I still need to be in gear to hear it.

The second sound I notice now is a whiney sound whenever I step on the gas. The revving of the engine sounds off- like a little too high pitched-.. I can be in neutral and Hear this sound.

So I take it in to the mechanic today. They are supposed to be the best. He calls me back about 5 hours later and tells me there are two sounds.. then used words I really didn't understand. First he said there was a 'pre ignition sound".. then followed up with words like could be "air fixture," "timing cover" Tensioner..... and basically he said for some reason the check engine light isn't coming on so he can't tell what the problem is cause theres just too many possibilities... he Did ask me what grade fuel i was using, and i said regular- he suggested I step up to the next grade to see if that helps... Basically, to me it sounded like a convoluted way to say " look ,we dont know whats wrong-- heres some busy work and go get an upgrade in octane level".. I'm not sure if this suggestion is just off the wall, or maybe someone can help me out with why he might suggest that.. Can anyone- Anyone at all give me any type of suggestion as to what this could be? anything I might check to narrow down the problems? One other thing to note is that this sound(s) usually only occur after the car has been running for 10-15 minutes- then i can't get it to stop.. but for the first 15 minutes-- everything sounds and runs perfect.. what gives?

To further help you- i took video/audio of the sound while it was happening and uploaded it to photobucket. The link is below.. I would really appreciate any type of help guys..thanks

Heres the Link to the movie/sound.. 10 secs long.

mikemd19

First, you should be running 90 octane in it. Second, check the shields around your exhaust system. They come lose and rattle.

Reply to
JimV

you need to use the proper recommended fuel - 91 grade premium.

otherwise its going to pre ignition rattle like an old sowing machine.

Reply to
common_ sense

Which would mean the knock sensor is not sensing. If you are not getting a code from it (have to check with a code reader, the KS does not light the engine light), then it has failed in a mode where it thinks everything is fine.

Even though 91 is recommended, the car is designed to also run on regular without thrashing itself to death. The simple test is to run several tanks of 91 through it and see if it minimizes the problem. If so, then replace the knock sensor. I have heard that many times the problem is in the wiring rather than the sensor itself.

Other possibilities, though more unlikely:

- a failing timing chain/chain guide. It will also make noise out of gear at certain rpms if this is the case.

- loose /rattling exhaust shields. Easy to check. Just poke them with a broom stick.

- I had an old Altima for a while that sounded like it had a timing chain rattle. Turned out to be the accessory belt had thrown off enough chunks from the ridges that it made that same rattly zingy noise as the belt moved through the grooves in the pulleys.

- don't overlook the gazillions of other sensors (O2, MAF, etc.) that feed the engine computer the data it uses to adjust timing and mixture. Most of these will throw a code and like the check engine light, but there could also be wiring problems that are tricking it into thinking everything is fine.

- Have you tried running some top end cleaner (Sea foam comes to mind) through it. It may or may not make any difference, but it sure is fun to watch the neighbors freak when they see the massive cloud of smoke.

Reply to
E Meyer

Reply to
kpillifant

nope,,,

its a "knock" sensor - not a pre ignition sensor.

It prevents KNOCK,,you will still have pre ignition rattle using sub standard fuel. And you will have the ECU retarding the timing and reducing HP and Fuel Mileage.

This question has been gone over so many time in this group that it simply does not justify a reply.

The car needs Premium - you should not have bought it if you do not want to feed it.

Reply to
common_ sense

Actually in the FSM, they call it a detonation sensor. It is actually a little microphone bolted to the top of the engine.

In any event, experience says you are wrong. Exactly what Nisson do you drive and what experience have you had that proves your assertions? The five Nissons rolling around my family for the past 10 years ('96 & '97 i30s, an '02 Pathfinder & a '91 240sx) all run just fine on 87 octane without any human audible pinging and rattling. The manufacturer provided owner's manual for each of them says the same thing: "regular gas of at least 87 octane is required. Use 91 for increased performance." I have tested each with multiple tanks of 91 and multiple tanks of 87. There is no rattle or ping detectable by a human. The mileage difference is approximately 1 MPG, and that only on the Pathfinder, and then only when cruising it at 80 MPH.

And yet you do...

That car does not need premium. You start screaming this every time anyone says they put regular in one of these cars. Never mind the fact that Nisson says it only requires regular gas, but premium for "increased performance". These cars will run just fine on 87 octane gas without thrashing themselves to death. If the OP is experiencing rattling and pinging, then something else is wrong.

Reply to
E Meyer

'98 Maxima 5-sp,

Reply to
E Meyer

Nissan says it requires Premium, and can run on regular, with reduced performance.

Just like any other of a dozen other high compression preformance cars I could name.

Your rattles, you just are to cheap to notice it.

Reply to
common_ sense

Actualy,,I designed and built the knock sensors,,,

and your qualifications are?

Reply to
common_ sense

Well, I can read and it says 87 octane under the fuel door. Can you read?

Reply to
No One

Not quite. The manual recommends 87 octane. It also says for increased performance to use 91. It says nothing at all about 'requiring' premuim. I can scan the page and upload it if you like.

Mine doesn't on 87. Mind you, the altitude could have something to do with that. It DOES perform better on premium though and that is what it usually gets. If you can buy the car, you can afford good gas.

Reply to
Nobody

You must have different manuals than the rest of us. Nissan says it requires 87 and can make use of 91.

BS

Reply to
E Meyer

No it does not,,,,my 2000 Maxima :

It says "Premium Fuel Recommended for Maximum Performance".

Its right on the fuel door in 50 point type.

In the owners manual it defines Premium Fuel as min 91 octane.

Apparently you are the one with the reading problem.

Reply to
common_ sense

I have the manual right in front of me - it recommends 91, and says it can run with reduced performance on as low as 87.

On 87 its going to retard the hell out of the timing (within the range allowed by the ECU), and its going to "rattling sound" under heavy acceleration.

And yes,,if you live in Denver, in a cool climate, that reduces the octane requirement across the board - 87 becomes 91. You probably can buy 84 in Denver.

The original poster admits to using 87 octane, and is complaining to his mechanic about a "Rattling noise". So in order to save 5 percent on fuel costs, he is going to have the mechanic do what?

This fuel issue has been thrashed over so many times it hardly is worth the time to type yet another reply. Go to maxima.org and see what kind of fuel they say you need.

And I agree 100 percent, if you can afford this car, you can afford to forego one Star bucks Latte a month for the right fuel.

Reply to
common_ sense

It says it will run with reduced performance on 87.

Reply to
common_ sense

No, I don't have a 2000 Maxima.

Reply to
No One

Mine says it recommends 87. It also recommends 91 for best performance.

Nope. Not for me. I drive my car quite hard. I like how it sounds when it pulls hard.

Don't live in Denver but we are about 2800ft here. I have used 87 but I usually use 91 as it does make a difference in performance.

I am not arguing that point. I am saying you are wrong in your information to him. Another poster has told you the same thing as I did.

No need. Been there, done that. I don't need anyone to tell me what I need. I am telling you what worked for me. Pardon the pun but your mileage may vary. End of story.

No disagreement there.

Reply to
Nobody

Doesn't say anything about pinging though. That is far worse than reduced performance.

Reply to
Nobody

so why are you posting on a Maxima group - regarding a 2000 Maxima?

Reply to
common_ sense