Re "Service Theft alarm" Help

Gary Fritz, I'm curious how you made out. I'm thinking of tackling this myself.

Larry

Reply to
Jo Anne Coyne

I pulled the alarm module, but apparently between the 2000 and 2002 model years they changed its design. It's no longer held shut with screws -- the plastic is electrostatically welded or glued or something. So I'm not quite sure how to open it without destroying it. If I get brave I may try to cut it open with a shallow-blade table saw, change the batteries, and then seal it shut with silicone. Worst case I ruin it, which is no worse than it is now.

Meanwhile it's sitting on the shelf in my garage. I have to hit the RESET button every time I start the car to clear the error message, but that's no worse than it was before I yanked the module.

What a PITA. Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

I did do the fix for my 99 9-5, and was able to take apart the module and solder in a new set of batteries.

Worked for about a week, then back to the "service theft alarm" message. I was going to some day check to see if I missed a solder joint or something went bad, but I doubt it. My guess is that the unit is no longer charging the battery so I put it in and the unit worked fine but after the charge in the battery went away, all was broken again.

It's good to know, however, that I can take the whole thing out and leave it out and the car will start/run. Maybe that'll give me enough incentive to take it apart again and see just what's going on.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

Yeah, no problem. Too bad there isn't a Tech II setting to shut off the @# $@#$ "service theft alarm" message.

As I said, what a PITA.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Actually, there is a Tech II setting to do just that. In fact, when the 9-5, 9-3 first came out there was a real problem with the Alarm siren module (electronic part by Lucas, go figure).

Until we could get them. Saab told us to turn the message off. Problem was that the TechII software at the time did not support this for the

9-3.

We would access the 9-3 by selecting the proper year/model, then change the VIN in the DICE to that of a 1999 9-5. Exit the DICE, then restart the TechII and tell it that it was hooked up to a 1999 9-5. Go to TWICE and in the adjustment menu and turn off the Sevice Theft Alarm message. Then back to DICE and reset the VIN to orginal/correct VIN and all was good.

Finally got a software update for TechII so we did not have to do all this stuff and Saab had a campaign to replace the sirens on the 9-5,

9-3 cars

Steve C

Reply to
Scrowe

Really! I'll have to get my guy to do that the next time I'm in.

(I used to have a bookmark for a list of Tech II settings, at

but that doesn't seem to be there any more. Anybody know where I could find another list?)

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz