1997 NISSAN SENTRA 1.6 UPPER TIMING CHAIN

Suspected a timing chain problem on my 1997 Nissan Sentra with 128K and a 1.6 engine as it was making a ?clacking noise?. Popped the valve cover and discovered a lot of slack in the upper timing chain. Gears, chain and cams look very good. Engine very clean and oil changed regularly.

Questions:

1) Have these engines had a history with the upper tensioners going bad? 2) Is the timing chain cover one piece or two piece? 3) What is the procedure to keep engine timed? 4) Are the cam/idler gears marked?

Also, looking for advise/directions/procedures from A to Z on how to replace the upper tensioner and/or timing chain and gears. Please advise.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer, Bill

Reply to
WCM111

Its much more likely that your screech on cold start is a lose or glazed accessory belt, pulley or belt tensioner. Change the belts and check the pulleys before you start tearing into the timing chain.

It could also be the starter failing to disengage immediately when the engine starts. Maximas are known for this problem when the starter gets old and tired.

Reply to
E Meyer

If it does turn out to be the starter, spend the extra $$ and go OEM. In the long run its less hassle than replacing 3 or 4 rebuilts until you get one that actually works.

Reply to
E Meyer

You can download the factory service manual for the 96 here (the 95-99 Sentra 1.6s are 99% the same GA16DE with the expected differences in emissions related changes);

Take care of your 1.6. I wasn't so lucky.

CD

Reply to
codifus

CD - Greatly appreciate the help!

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@>> Suspected a timing chain problem on my 1997 Nissan Sentra with 128K and a 1.6

Reply to
WCM111 via CarKB.com

No problem. Let us know how it turns out.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

CD - It turned out to be the upper timing chain tensioner. Also, found out that the 1996 Nissan 1.6 engine only has one timing chain; not two. Mine is a 1997 (thank God).

FYI . . . For future threads concerning the same problem, the upper tensioner, upper timing chain and both cam sprockets can be replaced by removing the valve cover and upper timing chain cover. The cylinder head does not have to be removed. To get at the timing chain cover, you do need to support the engine, remove the right upper motor mount and accompnying bracket. The windshield washer tank and accompanying hold down also has to be removed to get the bolt out of the upper motor mount. Not really a bad job. The Nissan enginneer used his head when he designed this engine so that you could easily get at the upper end of the engine without removing the whole timing chain cover or the cylinder head.

Regards and thanks aga>> CD - Greatly appreciate the help!

Reply to
WCM111 via CarKB.com

AlI am only replacing the upper tensioner. The power steeing resevoir was not in my way and was not moved. The gears and the chain are in great shape. I did have to remove the coolant resivoir and the accompanying hold down out the way. Hope this helps.

Bill

al wrote:

Reply to
WCM111 via CarKB.com

my '99 sentra gxe w/ 104,000 miles also makes a "clacking noise" but not when its cold. It does it sometimes during acceleration. I suspect timing chain. Perhaps the same fix you found will work in this case. Assuming it's the same problem, what should it cost to repair in a shop?

Reply to
luverious

Don't think about taking your car to the shop right yet. Try using high octane gas (93 octane) for the next couple of tankfulls. If you only hear the noise during acceleration, chances are it's not the timing chain. It sounds like what you are hearing may be "pinging" as opposed to a problem related to the timing chain and running a high octane gas will cure this problem. Let us know how you make out.

Happy motor>my '99 sentra gxe w/ 104,000 miles also makes a "clacking noise" but

Reply to
WCM111 via CarKB.com