SAAB logo on hood

It's not really chrome, AFAICT. It looks moire like aluminum. But it can be polished up to look like chrome if you like that.

Reply to
Fred W

I will have to check it... mine looks like chrome. From what I recall, they chromed it and then painted everything except for the outer edge to get a chrome border around the paint. But, it's been a while, I will have to go look it over.

Reply to
- Bob -

Water pressure will wash it away because it is made cheap. Had the same problem

Reply to
Newsman

Thanks all for the info/advice. I guess I will be ordering a replacement from one of the suggested sites.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
DrNate

Folks,

You can get a brand new Saab emblem at stateofnine.com with emblem armor as well.

SG

I don't think it will help. The badge detaches under the paint from the metal surface due to adhesion problems. I don't think surface protection is going to help at all.

Reply to
- Bob -

I'm inclined to agree with you on this.

Reply to
Fred W

Fred,

There is no adhesion, there are 2 plastic nipples, no adhesive at all. That's not the issue. It is surface peel-off from many natural elements.

Reply to
SG

not the issue. It is surface peel-off from many natural elements.

No, not the mounting of the emblem to the car. I've changed plenty of them over my years to know how they mount. It's the adhesion of the colored paint to the face of the emblem that is the problem. Covering the paint with some "shield" will not keep it from cracking and peeling off like it is wont to do.

Reply to
Fred W

I like it like that, since them I call my 9000 the "silver edition"....I see it as a medal, a compliment for it's years of true service. Since mine peeled of when it had about 250.000Km on the clock. When I reach 500.000Km I could get it painted gold... ;-)

Reply to
Nel

Haha... Funny. When I was reading your first line about liking the silver I was thinking that very thing:

"I wonder how it would look plated gold?"

Reply to
Fred W

I guess it would look absolutely terrible, as in tasteless and very nouveauriche'esque. Something like white a pearle white eighties Mercedes S-class with a gold plated star on the hood, that you would see an oil sheik driving around in at the Cote d'azur 20 years ago, or like the "real solid golden keys" Cadillac used to upsell the "gold key delivery program with, on the 1986 Eldorado and Seville models...

In othe words: A *must* have !!! If my 9K ever makes it to 500.0000 I hereby solemly swear that I will have the hood logo gold plated ...

Just like I would go bezirk if I could ever lay my hands on something like this:

Nel