Saab hood logo ornament

Hi folks,

I parked my 1998 900 SE 2.0 Turbo on the street the other day and was horrified to discover that someone had scratched off most of the paint off the little disc with the Saab/Scania logo on the hood.

When I was done with calling all the worlds and other worldly curses on the perp, I started to wonder where I can get a replacement for the disc.

I see that the '99 and on 9-3/9-5 etc have only the Saab name and logo on their hood discs whereas the '98 and older ones have the Saab lettering on the top, the logo and the Scania lettering on the bottom of the disc. That's the one I want

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

goonie12

Reply to
goonie12

Maybe, maybe not. The paint on the logo tends to disappear on its own, sometimes quite suddenly.

I suggest eeuroparts.com, assuming you're in the US. Order yourself some oil filters or whatever else you need at the same time, because they offer free shipping if your order is over $35 or so.

I believe the different emblems are physically compatible, and I know that eeuroparts carries both-- because I've ordered replacements for each at various times :)

John

Reply to
John B

Oh, one more thing-- make sure to take care when you pry up the old ornament. You have to avoid both denting the hood and scratching the paint. I recommend folding a business card in half over a razor or screwdriver, and being very gentle. It should come up fairly easily.

John

Reply to
John B

The paint did dissapear on its own it just happens. Try saabsite.com they will have your new emblem. Good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

You wil find that the paint can and does just "vapourise". Sometimes it seems almost overnight.

My old 1984 T16S was like that. The shape of the badge was visible (the chrome lines) but all the fill colour had just disappeared overnight.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Where did the crowned bird come from?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

That's the mythical creature known as the Griffin.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It's taken from the coat of arms of the Skåne (Scania) region of Sweden. See

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '91 900i 16

MH

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Sleeker GT Phwoar at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 03/06/2005 10:05:

My first C900 was silver and I remember seeing my front emblem slap onto the windscreen and stick there for a moment before whipping over the top of the car. I really liked the result, so much so, I picked the colouring off the rear emblem 8)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Try

. Got a replacement 2001 95 Wagon hood logo. They have the old style also.

JG

Reply to
<enjjpt8506

To be completely accurte the gryphon is a mythical creature with the head of an eagle and the body of a lion.

It was used as the arms (or armorial bearing) of Scania. (see above)

The crown would indicate some monarchical connection of which I am unaware.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Intruigingly also used by Vauxhall, another GM brand.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Saab's use of the Griffin goes back to the Scania roots, maybe even Vabis.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The Skåne coat of arms was copied from the Malmö city coat of arms. If in Sweden a city had city rights, it could choose to put a crown (coronet) in its coat of arms.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '91 900i 16

MH

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 04/06/2005 19:55:

Vauxhall goes back to the 1930s, perhaps earlier ... Not sure about the marque, though.

Reply to
Paul Halliday

1903 - moved to Luton in 1905 - Luton factory closed by GM a couple of yrs ago.

My previous 3 cars were Vauxhalls btw. The 2 litre Cavalier ( aka Opel Ascona ) was always well-liked. They lost the plot with the Vectra IMHO.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear