thud when braking in reverse (and I didn't run over the cat!)

Very common, slight wear in calipers, all Girling caliper 900s (and 99s) have it. No problem. Google for it if you want to read more.

Reply to
Grunff

My darling 900 T16 '87 announces my arrival whenever I pull up anywhere with a nifty parallel park as, as I brake for the first time when stopping reversing I get a klunk from somewhere near the n/s/f wheel. it doesn't do it again until I drive forward, brake, and then brake in reverse again (klunk).

My thoughts were that the pads or calipers were slipping in their mountings with the change in direction, one problem to this hypothesis is it does happen when I brake going forward after braking in reverse??

I would appreciate any thoughts on possible reasons before I remove the caliper and attempt to solve the reverse warining sound.

Reply to
derek huffadine

I don't know a c900 (or 99) which _doesn't_ do that once you get a bunch of miles on it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Note to self: check to see if Grunff has answered before I write almost the same thing.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No my lovely 900 did it too, just worn calipers, they ain't gonna fall off.

Forget it it's part of the classic experience!!!

Al

Reply to
Al

And 95/96 (with disc brakes) may have it too.

------- MH '72 97 '77 6 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

Hm, none of mine do. Just lucky I guess?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Maybe. Only one of mine does (the '79 96).

----- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

FWIW neither my '86 900T (totaled at 186k miles) nor my '88 900 (sold with about 160k miles) ever had a clunk like that.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Freak! Freaaaak!!

The 88 I can understand - the brakes changed in 88 (from the old Girling sliding yolk calipers to the newer small ones). Later calipers don't clunk. All earlier calipers with any kind of mileage on them do clunk, unless you've done something to fix (padded the calipers, bent the spring, whatever).

Reply to
Grunff

Well, yeah. But what's your point? :-)

Well it's been a few years since that one went to the big junk yard in the sky, but I drove it for 13 years and over 120k miles (it had 23k on the clock when I bought it) and I don't remember any clunk...

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Maybe it' a late thing? My newest is a '73 97. Any change after then?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No, all the disc brakes on the 95/96/97 are the same, up to the last 1980 ones. I think it's just mileage/wear. Also, some previous owner may have already replaced the calipers at some point.