97 4Runner "Clunking" when accelerating in forward gear...Rear Brakes??

I've been experiencing this problem for a few months now. After my 4Runner sits for a few days, when I crank it up, select a forward gear, and press the accelerator, the engine races under load but the truck does not move. At a certain level of acceleration, a loud clunk is heard and felt in the rear end of the truck then the truck begins to move forward. This DOES NOT happen in reverse. If I shift out of drive into reverse, neutral, or park, then back into drive the same clunking occurs. If I finally drive the truck say 100 feet or so, the clunking goes away and does not happen again.

This happened again today, and I really listened to and felt the clunk. It sounded as if it was coming from the right rear wheel. Could a malfunctioning parking brake, bleeding or malfunctioning wheel cylinder, or leaking axle be causing the rear shoe to wedge against the drum? My thought is that the shoe is wedging to the drum preventing forward movement, but allowing reverse.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to