Vac hose/heater probs. 1984 T16 Saloon

Won't go into too much detail...

Heater stuck on hot, temperature dial totally loose and feels disconnected. Hissing noise in dash (vacuum?) when throttle is shut. Car performs normally, even the cruise works...

What should be the first thing I look at here? Am I looking at a nightmare of hoses and wires behind the dash coming out and having a fun weekend?

Thanks for any help! Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Have you been messing about with the dash? Sounds like you've disconnected the control rod, which links the hot/cold knob to the heater valve. Remove left side speaker grille and take a look.

Hissing hose is unrelated to heat, but may have been disturbed at the same time.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, there's a hose on the back of the air-switch which controls which vents the fan blows through, which is easy to pull off and leave unnoticed. I'd put money on the dashboard panel having been recently taken out.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

disconnected.

No, only got the car an hour or so ago. Noticed that heater extremely hot on way round M25. Turned knob, it's totally free. I'll have look tomorrow if anythings disconnected.

What's the hissing hose then? The APC gauge seems to be working, the cruise works - I presume there's a loose pipe on the heater controls then?

Thanks as always Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Thanks Dave - the previous owner has just taken the radio out.. maybe that's got something to do with it..

cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Bingo! Every time.

Reply to
Grunff

I guarantee it does, explains both problems. I recognize these so readily because, er, well, nevermind why.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 27/07/2004 22:49:

Hmmm! I replaced a broken '89 model dash fascia with an '85 model fascia and had this problem - it was hole number 7 IIRC. That's the one on the rubber "multi-plug" with the copper ring that fits onto the vent selector dial. My fix was to take the vent selector off the later model fascia and fit to me newly fitted earlier model fascia.

I'm not certain about the specifics of moving a later dash onto and earlier model, but it would be worth popping off and taking a look. Retro fitting the correct vent selector to the "behind the scenes" workings worked for me.

Happy hunting,

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 27/07/2004 23:02:

:)

You lot never told me that removing the speakers made these kind of jobs so much easier. I fumbled with the temperature control arm for about half an hour when I'd pulled the damn thing off the other end that's way inside the dash ... If I'd known it fitted on just under the LHS speaker I'd not have sworn so much! Dave gave me some useful words after that - to paraphase, he said that if you're finding maintenance on a SAAB difficult, you're probably doing it wrong. He's right!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I don't remember writing that, but it _very much_ sounds like me. I miss having a c900.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

disconnected.

Haven't had a chance to take the grille off yet, but I stuck my hand down there and there is a metal rod, about 8" long with plastic ends that obviously clip to some sort of control. This rod is just lying in the wires, not connected to anything - is this what I'm looking for?

thanks mike

Reply to
Mike P

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 28/07/2004 02:04:

It was you, believe me :)

I know the Sonetts and the 95s/96s are lovely and superb cars, but as time goes on even the 99 becomes too old a car to be a workable classic. The 900 spanned so much time that an old 8V model is a classic where a 16V of the same year is just an old car. I Iove the T8s for the sound. I've looked at facelift T16s and thought well, they're nice but they're just old cars. I love the old(er) ones - the old T8s are the ones for me ... Great growl. The old (pre-facelift) T16s are really nice as well, but I like other people owning those, if you see what I mean.

Go on Dave, Getchaself a nice 8 valve injection. They're great in snow!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Sure is. Don't forget about the hose for the back of the air switch while you're in there, as well.

Reply to
Dave Hinz