What's wrong with this picture (99 Turbo)

First person to spot the problem with the following photo wins, er, I don't know, honerable mention or something. http://68.78.86.35/dave/saab/99turbo/reanimation/engine_removal/img_1424.html More pics of 99 Turbo/classic 900 engine removal at that same URL minus the img_.... stuff

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Stretched con-rod. Happens all the time...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

First person to spot the problem with the following photo wins, er, I don't know, honerable mention or something. http://68.78.86.35/dave/saab/99turbo/reanimation/engine_removal/img_1424.html More pics of 99 Turbo/classic 900 engine removal at that same URL minus the img_.... stuff

Dave Hinz

I know! I know! The 3rd egg-shaped thingy in from the left has a double yolk...

Do I win a prize????

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Stretched con-rod. Happens all the time...

Cheers,

Colin.

Yeah! Just like I said... (before you)...

Reply to
Nasty Bob

First person to spot the problem with the following photo wins, er, I don't know, honerable mention or something.

OK.. I get it now.. it's one of those *rhetorical* competitions... DOH!!!

Reply to
Nasty Bob

My news reader seems to think I was first - by a whooole minute no less.

Anyway, I think the *real* problem is that the head is missing. It'll never work like that.

On a vaguely related note, I bought a Sierra once from a scrappy who said the engine was "playing up". Whilst unbolting the gearbox I noticed the sump...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

OK - You win ;)

My news reader seems to think I was first - by a whooole minute no less.

Anyway, I think the *real* problem is that the head is missing. It'll never work like that.

On a vaguely related note, I bought a Sierra once from a scrappy who said the engine was "playing up". Whilst unbolting the gearbox I noticed the sump...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Nasty Bob

He doesn't win _yet_, I haven't seen what the other end of the "stretched" rod looks like yet.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Err... 3 pistons at TDC at the same time? What is the firing order of this engine and what shape is the crank?

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Yup! Number 2 (second from rear of car) is the culprit. Notice also that the marks that show front/back of pistons are in line on 3 of 'em, and about 120 degrees off on that one. I fear for the bore.

The crank is supposed to have 1&4 up, 2&3 down, then the other way. So the firing order then is probably 1342 I think? More pictures tomorrow afternoon, but I don't think it's gonna be pretty.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

http://68.78.86.35/dave/saab/99turbo/reanimation/engine_removal/img_1424.html>

Sounds like the rod broke. I don't think having the piston sitting at TDC all the time would do anything to the bore. The crank might have been damaged and obviously the rod. Plus the valves might have gotten knocked around some

-Fred

Reply to
Fred W.

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:53:42 -0400, Fred W. > and about 120 degrees off on that one. I fear for the bore.

There is a connecting rod bolt that rattled out through the bottom of something, ended up on the driveway in about a gallon of motor oil. Not good. Obviously there's a hole in something, probably the tranny case. Worst case, it took out the rod, block, crank, and tranny. Best case isn't too much different at this point, but more details soon.

Well, depends on where the rod is disconnected, and if taht's been thrashing around. The valves for #2 _look_ OK but I figure I'll pull the cam, take out the tappets, and spin the valves to see if they're still straight. If I'm going _that_ far, might as well lap in all the valves...sigh... But, the head looks good, the turbo and clutch are fine, and the damage seems to be short-block and below. If I'm lucky, the crank and block survived, but I think I'm gonna need a tranny.

Can I put a 5-speed in a '78 99 Turbo? Will it fit? What would I have to change in the gearshift mechanism or elsewhere? How horribly unauthentic would that be? Would the speedometer become inaccurate?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

My brother put a 900 5 speed in a 99. Besides the obvious "not original" thing, the 5 speed xmission worked fine. The only problem was the original shifter knob said 4 speeds and the xmission had 5. I don't recall any "mate up" problems, in fact I don't recall having to adjust the shift linkage. I do recall that he frequently forgot to shift to 5th gear rather frequently, don't know if that was a car or a beer problem. I would rebuild any 5 spd xmission I acquired (synchro's and pinion bearings probably all I'd do). Rumor has it that the 4 spd xmission is more robust, I doubt that. We didn't change the speedo and to my knowledge never had any " issues" with the newer xmission.

dave

Reply to
dave

Great to know. I'm not too bothered about the "not original" thing, because if I don't do any cutting or welding of the car, it's reversable.

Great information, thank you _very_ much.

So, does anyone have a B engine with or without a 4 or 5 speed transmission somewhere near-ish Wisconsin that's for sale? Old and tired but rebuildable is fine. As to the old engine, I've got pictures forthcoming but let's just say I have a mason jar of gravel-sized engine parts on my desk at the moment.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz