1996 SL2 Valve cover gasket

I have a 1996 SL2 there is some oil in the # 4 spark plug well. The Valve cover gasket has been replaced twice and after I clean the oil out of #4 well in about a week or so there is oil on the well wall and some at the bottom. It only goes in well #4. Could the well wall be cracked or maybe a bad valve cover? Any one with an answer. Thanks

Reply to
jsdalbec

Try this, take it apart and replace gasket and coat the gasket in question with black RTV silicone automotive gasket sealant. Assemble the parts but do not tighten them fully (use only a slightl snug fit. Let it sit overnight then torque it to noram; torque to finish seating it and I doubt it will leak any more. My son had a old Toyota Tercel that leaked a lot and had a bunch of factory bulletins on leaking valve cover and pan gaskets. I replaced the gaskets and used the RTV mentioned above and as instructed above and it never leaked again.

Reply to
SnoMan

did you buy the complete kit.. the one with the plastic inserts along with the gasket. There is also only 2 spots that should get a spot of rtv. Did you tork the bolts in the right order and right tork.. 89 inch lbs if you didn't you probably warped the cover!!

Reply to
p_vouers

I have the same problem, but with #1 and #3 wells. I hear these plastic cam covers are prone to cracks. A replacement is >$300.

Reply to
Chuck
< $30 on eBay.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]