valve cover gasket better with or without RTV sealant

My Haynes manual recommends RTV on the valve cover gaskets, but the Toyota dealer's mechanics install the gaskets dry. Does anyone have experience supporting sealant or none in this context? (I'd like to replace the gaskets just once.) Thanks, Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Slishman

just did mine with the RTV, no problems. Mine was done that way from the factory without leaking for 150,000 miles, thats good enough for me.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Standard RTV is not healthy for the oxygen sensor(s) because acetic acid is emitted during cure which can enter the part of the O2 sensor open to the atmosphere. My Haynes manual shows applying Toyota FIPG (form in place gasket) material at four points - on either side of the cam bearings where the round meets the flat. I'm not sure you'd gain anything by applying FIPG material all around the valve cover sealing area, because the factory gasket is already pliable neoprene type. The FIPG is used for the oil pan gasket, but there the FIPG _is_ the gasket - it forms the pliable seal between the block and steel oil pan. For the valve cover gasket, it would be like applying one gasket over another. When I removed what appeared to be the original valve cover gasket, it was hardened and seeping slightly apx. 90K miles, and the valve cover nuts were loose. My plan is to use the stock gasket, and just replace it at 60,000 mile intervals when doing the timing belt. Possibly re-torque the valve cover nuts to 17 ft. lbs. at 30,000 miles. (BTW, the Haynes 29 ft. lbs. torque is only for the _bottom_ of the spark plug tubes attaching to the head, and is not correct for the valve cover nuts at the top of the spark plug tubes)

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus