1997 SL2 - steering wheel cover suggestions?

I'm not really trying to dress up my vehicle in a ridiculous way, its just that the top of the steering wheel is getting worn out from the sun. So to find something as simple as a simple black steering wheel cover - no cartoon characters, no flames or goofy stuff - should be a piece of cake, right? Not really.

I've just tried my third one.

#1. -lace up deal, fake leather - ripped while trying to install

#2. - one piece slip over deal - too big, slipped around

#3. - lace up deal, slightly higher quality fake leather than #1 - too small, pain in the a** to install, lace doesn't wrap correctly around the wide "spokes" of the steering wheel.

So, anyone out there have any suggestions/companies to suggest?

Your help on this is appreciated - even if it's just to laugh at me.

Reply to
woj product

I went through the same thing on my 1998 SW2. The slip over one I found (Walmart or Target) fit ok and didn't slip around, but it left a horrible new vinyl smell in the car and on my hands for about a month. It also made the steering wheel too thick which eventually caused carpal tunnel-like pain in my wrists and fingers until I took it off. (I drive 3 hours a day)

I'm looking for a thin (real) leather one, if anyone has any leads.

If there weren't an airbag involved, I would just replace the steering wheel.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

get a smooth leather like one from walmart. they are cheap and they work great.

Reply to
Candice Victoria

(Hmmmm... my regular server seems to be dead, so I'm posting through Google. If there are eventually three identical replies, please forgive me.)

I got a Wheelskins two-tone leather cover for my 99 SL1. It was a kind of a lot of work... took me a couple of hours, and I wasn't happy with the job I did. I removed it and tried again, took about an hour this time and I liked it better.

The leather sure feels better than the hard plastic! However, the wide spokes are definitely a problem. I intended to go back and run laces to somehow tighten up that part, but I haven't done it. I tucked the lace-holes under and they stay folded pretty well.

Over time the folded-over part looks better than it did originally, and the photo on the page below is from when I first did it.

The steering wheel cover is toward the bottom of the page, last picture on the right.

-Alan L.

Reply to
Alan LaRue