Steering wheel and Key LOCK UP!!! 87 Cherokee

Hello,

I am getting a 1987 Jeep Cherokee from my sister. But there is only on problem. The stuiped wheels wont turna nd the key wont turn. Now i kno what you thinking turn the wheel and turn the key.. Right? yeah wheel tried for a good hour and a half. the first hour i was jerking the whee and turning the key the next half an hour i was punching the crap out o the wheel....... I have done some research on this, i am thinking that have to take the steering wheel off, and unlock the steering colum manuly. I got the nut of the wheel off but the wheel itself wont com off, im thinking that there is a tool to get it off. I dont even kno where to turn. There is one other BIG problem, the Jeep is in PA and live in OH... its like 2 hours away.... My family is going up ther this weekend the 5th, So anyone with ANY I MEAN ANY ideas give me list and i can do them this weekend when i go up there. (Note: I am Also thinking maybe i have to Change the ignition, if so i it hard??) Thanks guys, Jimm

-- Shiza

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Shizam's Profile:

this thread:

Shizam

My niece had the same problem a couple weeks ago with her Prism.

I referred her to our local locksmith (a guy that does this for a living as opposed to the hardware clerk at Lowes) who came out to the house on his way home and pulled the lock cylinder and took it back to his shop. I don't know I he fixed it or replaced it but he came back the next morning and reinstalled it and gave her 2 new keys keyed to the old key (which he recommended be thrown away or saved only for emergencies). Total cost: $100

On another note I just bought a transponder key for my '02 WJ on eBay. L.T. cut and programmed* it for $25.95 while I waited, the dealer wanted $55 and I would have to make an appointment.

*(I only had 1 key, I know I can program additional keys myself now that I have 2 working keys)

Reply to
Billy Ray

If the key is the right key, then the ONLY thing it can be is the steering is bound against the lock. The only recovery from this is to GENTLY turn the wheel while turing the ignition swtich.

Going on the path you have already started on, you need a steering wheel puller. This can be used free from the auto parts store, or you can buy one for around 20 bucks. When the wheel is off, you will see the lock ring and the pin that is attached to the lock set. You can give a liberal dose of WD40 -- or better -- and set the wheel back on, and turn the key some more.

Reply to
J Strickland

Shizam did pass the time by typing:

You turn the steering wheel in the direction of the lock. i.e. if the wheels are pointing right, turn the wheel right. If the wheels are pointing left, turn the wheel left. This may take considerable effort but you have to turn the wheel, hold it, then turn the key. That takes tension off the lock pawl. I have had vehicles where it took two people to release the lock. Usually due to large tires or being parked up against a curb where the power steering assisted in getting the wheels cranked hard. (it is possible to release tension by jacking up the vehicle and by taking the steering column off at the rack&pinion, but make sure you mark where it was so you get the wheels centered again.)

The tool is called a steering wheel puller. Autozone has a tool loan program.

DougW

Automatic transmission, by any chance? There's an interlock system consisting of a cable, some switches and a solenoid connecting the brake pedal, the shift lever and the ignition switch. You can't move the shift lever out of Park without depressing the brake (idiot-proofing), you can't turn the keyswitch unless the interlock thinks the shifter is in Park, and it it is out of whack you can't get the shifter fully

*into* Park without pressing the brake. Try pressing the brake and shoving the shifter all the way forward. Lather, rinse, repeat. When properly engaged you should hear a *click* from the steering column. There was either a voluntary recall or a TSB out for at least the 1989 Cherokees with Automatics.

Let us know how you make out.

Shizam wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Well the thieves that stole my 88 XJ didn't have much of a problem. I got it back though! ;-)

Even though I just changed my ign. switch on Monday................I forget the exact procedure. To take off the steering wheel you need to remove the horn ring and use a steering wheel puller kit. MARK WHERE THE STEERING WHEEL COMES OFF! (Just makes it a little easier when you re-install it) Remove plastic cover. Then you will need this kit to depress a collar so you can remove a clip on the steering rod/shaft by sliding it up over the recessed groove. Remove collar and horn plate(?). Remember how they are positioned. Then a phillips screwdriver to remove screws for the turn signal switch and hazard knob. Then you can get enough clearance to remove that dark TORX screw that holds the ign. switch into the column. Pull out a little plastic piece with two bend metal contacts to have access to the ign. switch's holding screw. I am not sure if you need to turn the ign. switch to remove from steering column or not. I think it will even though the manual says to turn it to the second position.

BTW are you sure that the correct key is being used? You tried another ign. key? :-)

Good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1