1998 Saturn SC1

Hi wondering if anyone can help. My serpentine belt was squeeling and now is so loose the car won't start. My battery and ABS lights came on the day before. How do you change the belt tensioner? And where the heck is it located.. I looked in the Haynes manual but it isn't very clear. Thanks

Reply to
tonya

Have you tried replacing the belt first incase the old one is stretched out?

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Maybe the problem isnt the tensioner... Is the belt really loose? It might be a siezed up alternator, power steering pump, water pump or A/C compressor pulley. But the tensioner pulley and tensioning device are not too hard to find. If you look closely, you might see that the belt goes AROUND those items I just mentioned, but the belt kindof goes BEHIND the tensioneer.

To remove it you'll need a socket wrench (14mm, I think) with a very long handle just to take all the tension off the belt. Once the belt is loose, slip it off the alternator. Then without the belt, you can check to see if all the pulleys are "rotate-able". To get the tensioner assembly off, simply unbolt it. It's attached by a short arm to the tensioner pulley. I dont know which parts of the tensioner are replaceable. You may or may not have to replace the whole thing.

-WaV

t> Hi wondering if anyone can help. My serpentine belt was squeeling and

Reply to
wavy

I've also been trying to diagnose a squeal on my 95 SW2. It only lasts for a few secs. after first starting the car. I removed the idler and tensioner pulleys yesterday and both bearings feel fine. I'm wondering if the tensioner has lost some tension. This outfit has the whole assembly for

Reply to
Chuck

Belt is likely glazed and slipping a bit under friction heats it up and it stops slipping. You might check altenator bearings but if they are good, try replacing belt.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Thanks, but I tried replacing the belt - it didn't seem to help. The alternator has been replaced recently and that also had no affect. I might just wait and see if the noise becomes constant so I can home in on it.

Reply to
Chuck

When you first start up, the altenator can create a lot of drag for a few seconds when it first starts and can can a loose belt to slip.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Hmmmm. I also think it happens more when the A/C is on. Maybe it is a tensioner problem.

Reply to
Chuck

It is possible.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Just wanted to report...the car is running great....the tensioner was shot...replaced it and the belt....problems solved including all the dummy lights that had been going on and off for a year. That top bolt was a pain in the @@@....lol

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to
tonya

EXCELLENT!!!

One more blow against the laws of entropy.... One Saturn at a time!

-WaVy

t> Just wanted to report...the car is running great....the tensioner was

Reply to
wavy