Help? 2002 Saturn SC1 - Battery?

Yes, I'm a total dork and should be able to figure this out on my own.

However, I need some help.

My 2002 Saturn SC1 is dead. It won't turn over, or even "click" fo me. I tried to play with the battery posts thinking that they might b corroded, but they weren't. I had actually never really looked before so I didn't realize that the posts were on the front. It was entirel new to me :) So, the positive post has a bunch of battery acid ( think) leaking from it and when I went to jiggle the post (it had plastic cap on it), the whole thing came off? It's all green & gunk in there. I've driven quiet a few older cars in my day and I've neve quiet seen a battery post area look like that. I'm used to seein white caky stuff that I can knock of with a wrench or something. Thi was nothing like that.

So, I'm curious. Since the cable completely came off of the battery do you think that is the problem, or do you think it's that the batter itself is corroded? I just don't know how these things work. Also, th fact that there is battery acid leaking just freaks me out. I' pregnant and don't want to get my hands all jacked up with stuff lik that. My plan was to take the battery out and have Auto Zone test it. I've got a friend whose going to come by and help me out later tonight but I hoped maybe I could devise a plan in the meantime. Any hel would be apprecited

-- zeka

----------------------------------------------------------------------- zekat's Profile:

this thread:

zekat

First of all, Delco batteries which Saturn uses are junk, and the greenish goop is battery corrosion. Don't get any of it on you, the battery is far long gone.

You need to have someone carefully remove the battery for you, especially if you are preggers. Replace the battery with a better brand (I like Sears Diehard). Have someone clean up all of the mess the battery left in the engine bay before replacing the new battery to prevent further corrosion of both the new battery and engine. You can use Simple Green to clean things up, its biodegradable and cleans up well.

Lastly, before and after replacing the new battery, check that nothing was damaged by the battery acid. Have the cables replaced or repaired if necessary. Good luck, its a tedious but not hard job; but best to have a friend do it for you. Have some cold brews on hand as a friendly gesture, :-)

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Reply to