1998 SL2 hesitates when stepping on gas pedal

We have a 1998 SL2 with 105K miles. Recently it started hesitating when stepping on the gas pedal quickly. When idling it wants to stall. When moving along and stepping on the pedal it stutters for a moment.

SES light is off. Engine runs cold (thermostat replacement as soon as it's warm enough out) and idles at 1500 RPM.

Any ideas? The stutter reminds me of vaccum leaks back in the distributor/rotor days or a bad carb.

Thanks!

Reply to
somebody

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I had the same problem with my 98 SL2 cleaned the throttle and now it runs fine.

Reply to
Bill

If the engine always runs cold, it will be running rich, uses fuel and possibly floods on accel.

Most of the codes are set when the engine is at operating temperature. If it never thinks it has warmed up, codes may not be set. I'd replace the thermostat and if symptoms persist, have it checked with a scanner (much more comprehensive than a code reader).

Then there's always the possibility that the SES light is blown out. Do you get the check engine and service lights at key-on lamp check?

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

I'm having the thermostat replaced tomorrow, too cold out to mess with it myself. All the vacuum hoses look OK, and the engine runs OK for the first few minutes, until the car warms up a little. The SES came on with low coolant temperature. We'll find out soon.

Thanks for the replies!

Reply to
somebody

How did you clean it and what brand was the stuff?

Reply to
somebody

Replaced the thermostat today. The SES light went out and there's lots of heat.

But the temperature gauge doesn't move a bit and it still stalls/hesitates. Is there a quick test for the temperature sensor?

Reply to
somebody

A $10.00 ECTS (engine coolant temperature sensor) took care of the temperature gauge and now it runs fine. The original was the plastic version and it had a crack in it. Will change the oil becaus it's due and we're done for the day.

Thanks for all who replied!

Reply to
somebody

Lucky guess. The engine controller 'learns' and adapts (to an extent, at least). Often times, when you fix one thing, you have to either reset the controller (remove the battery cable to dump memory or by OBDII) or wait for it to re-learn the new conditions.

Glad it all worked out for you. -Oppie

Reply to
Oppie