Pressing gas pedal while starting?

I noted that in the subaru owner's manual (I have an '05 automatic impreza), it says that if the engine does not start, to try starting first with the gas pedal pressed part way down and then to try with the gas pedal pressed all the way down.

Since this is not one of the old fashioned cars that actually used to require "priming", what exactly does pressing the gas pedal down do? Does it send a message to the car's computer to do something special?

Thanks!

Reply to
Dave Botsch

I'm not sure about the part-way instruction. I THINK there have been issues in the past where that can actually confuse the ECU into recording an incorrect 'zero' point for the TPS. maybe that's a non-issue for 'throttle-by-wire'? I dunno Pressing the pedal entirely to the floor will often cause newer cars to go into a 'clear flood' mode to help move excess fuel outta the cylinders.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Exactly! Depending on how old you are you may remember carburetors. A pump or two of the gas pedal would make the accelerator pump dump some gasoline in the intake manifold. If the engine was flooded, holding the gas pedal down would clear a flooded condition. When EFI came along that was so deeply ingrained that ECU manufacturers programmed the ECU to behave the same way. I'm not sure all will richen the mixture when the pedal is "pumped" but I believe all will clear a flood when the pedal is held down, if only because no more fuel is added to the increased air.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Something i notice in my 03 WRX. Say i start the car first thing in the morn. Starts right up, head to the corner store a 1/4mile away. Turn it off, go in, come out a few min later and go to start it. It starts harder and when it starts the rpms are low for a sec or 2 acting like its ready to stall before it gets to the normal idle speed. I have tried pushing the pedal down some as i'm starting it in this situation and it fires right up. I always thought there was no need to push the pedal down on a fuel injected car when starting it. Does anyone elses sub do this ? If i start it in the morn, go to work, sits all day, it starts right up without touching the gas pedal.

Reply to
Mike

At usmb.net I HAVE read of people that experience problems when, say, backing the car outta the garage and then going back in a few minutes to restart it. Similar to your observation. I dunno that anything definitive has been discovered about the issue - maybe signs of a weak Engine Temp Sensor or something? maybe weird ECU mapping?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

My first reaction was along similar lines:

When the car's cold (first start of the day) it needs to run a bit rich, so no throttle opening's required. But after running a few minutes, it MAY be the engine itself is warm enough not to need an enriched mixture, but the sensors haven't fully warmed up yet, and are still telling the ECU "we need a richer mixture." So opening the throttle a bit allows more air flow, effectively overriding the ECU's instructions?

Just guessing wildly here.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

The STi does it too; especially iof it is warm. A mechanic buddy told me that the cold starting cycle causes a rich condition to helkp heat up the car. However, the cold cycle shuts off and goes into running mode when the car is about 50% warmed up. That causes the condition. If you run it for a few more minutes until it is fully warmed up, the problem doesn't happen.

Opening the throttle partway takes the car out of the closed loop mode for fuel (where it detects how much air is moving into the intajke manifold to determine how much fuel to inject) and injects a bit more fuel. Pushing the accelerator to the floor makes the ECU think it is in the WOT mode (wide open throttle) and injects more fuel directly. So if the car has leaned out the fuel for some reason, this makes it richer.

Reply to
JD