1998 sl2 woes

1998 sl2 stalls when i come to a stop, but drives fine down the road. once stalled it restarts okay in park or neutral but as soon as i put it in drive the car shakes violently and stalls. i have to rev up the motor and slam it into drive to get it to go, but it seems to be bogging out until i get up to speed. my check engine light is on and the auto zone guy said that the error codes indicate a faulty camshaft sensor and faulty tranny temp sensor. also,when i start the car in the morning the temp gauge on the dash indicates a hot engine temp even if the car is cold...any help/advice would be appreciated, this is my only way to work

p.s. if i have to replace the camshaft sensor or tranny temp sensor is it a major pain in the butt?

many thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

Sounds like several issues here ... If the engine temp gauge says the engine is hot when it is cold, then either the Coolant Temperature Sensor, wiring, or the gauge is defective. I'd put my money on the CTS and replace that. (These are cheap and easy to fix and are known to fail quite often, but usually fail open and show a cold engine even when hot.)

I do not believe an SL2 has a cam sensor (only a crank sensor?), so will leave others on this news group or do a search in Saturn Fans Forum (do a Google search) to know for sure.

On the transmission temp, could this be the CTS and maybe someone translated the code incorrectly for you? If not, check the wiring to the transmission temp sensor and replace it if the CTS does not fix it. I've never replaced that sensor, but suspect once you find it it will be fairly trivial, like most sensors.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

hi bob, thanks for the response. this past weekend i took the car in and the mechanic told me that the tranny was stuck in overdrive due to a faulty solenoid and for about $400 he would fix it.today a coworker suggested that i disable the solenoid...not sure how to do it....anyone with any info or suggestions?

thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

I've changed a Saturn trans solenoid myself previously on my son's 1996 SL1 . It wasn't too terribly difficult given the cover access on top. I also posted how to diagnose an open solenoid in Saturn Fans Forum using a simple ohm meter. (I have re-posted it below for your info):

After removing the outer cover (13 bolts) and then removing 19 more bolts that held the internal solenoid cover in place, I was able to remove the solenoids themselves. There were 5 in total and 4 of them measured 4.4 to

4.5 ohms each which agreed with the information that Bill Biggs had provided (they should be 4-6 ohms when "cold"). The 5th solenoid however measured just 0.6 ohms so appears to have an internal short. This solenoid is the last in the string nearest the front of the vehicle and I presume the one that modulates the fluid pressure. Since it was not working, the shifts were getting full pressure which almost certainly would have caused a catastrophic problem if we had continued to drive the vehicle and ignored the "clunking" noise.

I plan to pick up a replacement solenoid tomorrow at the dealer along with a new cover gasket and then put it all back together and have it back on the road sometime later this week. Special thanks to Bill Biggs ( a.k.a. webacraft on the SaturnFans Forum) for his assistance and to Blah Blah, Steve, and Curmudgeon for their replies.

I hope that this thread may help someone else down the road if they experience the same problem.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

PS The CTS still sounds like it is bad too ...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman