2001 Sat L200 "hollow cranking" won't start

My 2001 Sat L200 started having issues this week with hesitation when starting from a stop or accelerating to pass. It starts okay, but just seems to be lacking the power it has always had. I had planned on changing the fuel filter this weekend to see if that would help, but tonight when I went to run an errand, it started and ran okay; but when I came out it wouldn't start back up. It cranked but then part of the "normal cranking sound" went away and it just sound like a "hollow cranking sound" and shows no attempt to sputter or start at all.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Sat2001

Okay, let me add some more info, I've been reading some of the posts and the car HAS been making some noises. I thought they were the main belt but never could find any sign of wear that would make a noise. Seemed very repetitive and once the car got warmed up the noise stopped. Had the oil changed and thought it helped but had noticed it again last week before the power loss seemed to start. Am I jumping to conclusions or is it possible this could be a timing chain issue? Would a time chain break on cranking to start? Would that explain the "hollow cranking sound"? Steve

Reply to
Sat2001