2001 SL1 misfire trouble

I'm looking for a little help here please:

We went away on vacation and ur 2001 SL1 sat for about 10 days. I tried to start it when we got back and it ran very badly to say the least. It was misfiring, had a strange odor from exhaust, and had no power. I let it run for a few minutes and gave up. I came back later and started it up, and it gradually ran smooth again so I took it for a spin, and figured I'd get to it later if it happened again.

The very next day my wife went to use it and it was running bad again, just like before. It has not cleared up since, and here is what I have discovered/done: - it has fault codes P0300 (random misfire) and P0340 Camshaft position sensor.

I know it doesn't have a CPS, so I replaced the spark plugs and wires (they were due anyway), and took measurements on each of the wires and coils. The coils and wires measure normal.

Someone mentioned it could be a clogged catalytic converter, so I disconnected the O2 sensor on the manifold and it had no affect at all on the engine power/misfiring. There is also a large amount of flow from the tailpipe (enough to blow the rocks in my driveway out of the way from it).

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? What are my options here?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Justin

Reply to
princessrapunzel

When I recently had the same problem, it was Cyl. 3. Oil fouled plug. BUT you changed the plugs and wires, right? PCV sensor / valve or whatever it is called... Could that cause this problem?

Clogged fuel injector?

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Help Cure Cancer:

Joe

A couple of thoughts for consideration:

Look carefully at the ignition coil/plug wire tower. They have a tendency to corrode over time and can cause misfiring. Removing and cleaning is fairly simple and good preventive maintenance.

Make sure you gapped the plugs correctly. I'm not sure of your year, our '96 lists .060" in the manual, but is supposed to be .040".

Make sure the plug wires are run identically (and cross themselves in the same place and manner) to the way they were from the factory/previously.

Make sure your battery is putting out the desired voltage and definitely over 12V since the computer can do strange things with a bad cell causing a low voltage situation.

The connectors to one of the fuel injectors could be dirty/oxidized or not making good connection. These can be easily unplugged and sprayed with a good electrical contact cleaner/lubricant available from radio shack or similar electrical store.

The Crank Position Sensor could be bad causing the OBDII code you are seeing.

Saturn's are notorious for having the Coolant Temperature Sensor fail and not setting that code. Typically this could cause the engine to run badly upon start up. These are cheap and fairly easily replaced.

You could have gotten some bad gas last fill up. Try adding a good fuel injector cleaner (I use Dupont Techron) and running the tank down as far as possible before refueling.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

ECT sensor could behave like this. If it gives a "cold" value when you start it up it will run far to rich. What "brand" and type of plugs did you buy? Sometimes a .040 gap works better on the s-series.

Below 15k ohms is good.

Other than ECT sensor I would still focus on the plugs and wires and also look at fuel pressure and I should go ahead and ask when you last replaced your fuel filter.

-- .. ... - . .-. ..-. .- -.-. - / .. ... / .- -. / .. -.. .. --- -

Reply to
BläBlä

Well I have discovered that number 4 cylinder is not getting spark at all. I don't know why but I do know that for a fact. I am going to check all connections again and re-measure everything to make sure I didn't miss something.

Any ideas oon what would block the signal to #4 cylinder?

Reply to
princessrapunzel

Clean the corrosion from the ignition tower block...

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Is the engine single overhead cam? SL1, SC1 use SOHC design - This engine misfire problem besides plug, wires and ignition coils - the intake manifold gasket aslo leaking You can check by spraying some carburetor clean at the intake manifold cylinder #1, 2 area. If misfire that is the vehicle problem. Part for this is cheap but labour take about

3-5 hrs with proper equipment an tools. As for the rotten egg smell is from the catalytic converter. this occurs when trying to burn of excess fuel due to the misfire. If left unrepair will permanetly damage the catalytic converter. I recommend fix the problem ASAP.

I have what sounds like the exact same problem except mine is cylinder #1. If you find it let me know. I too have replaced my plugs and wires as well as cleaned the contacts on the ignition tower. Mine is a 98 SL1. 169,000 km.

Reply to
Roy

Hi, Justin, Take a look at

You may need to adjust the spark plug gap.

Reply to
Steve