2002 SL front speaker/door

I had Panasonic CD/MP3 head unit installed in my 2002 SL (instead of a plain radio) and now consider to replace front speakers. So there are 2 questions:
1. What are specifications for OE speakers (frequency response, RMS power range, peak power handling, impedance)?
2. How to remove front doors trim to get to speakers? I looked at Chilton's and Haynes repair manuals, but they cover only thru 1998 or 1999, and their front door disassembly procedures do not seem to be applicable to my 2002 SL.
Thank you.
Jerry
1: I'm not sure, but unless it's a premium (better-than-base) speaker setup, probably not very good all around. Usually the GM head units seem decent, but the stock speakers suck.
2: This seems to be the procedure:
Pull off mirror trim panel. Remove fastener from inside door handle assembly, slide forward while pulling outward - use screwdriver to disengage rod from retainers Remove window crank with standard window handle tool (if manual windows) Remove fasteners at pull cup and lower rear corner of panel Pull up on panel to disengage hooks at the top, and remove
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
If you buy the speakers from Crutchfield they'll include easy to follow installation instructions...

plain
questions:
range,
Chilton's and

front
On 20 Dec 2003 21:41:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Jerry) wrote:

No idea. But OE front speakers are 1 way (the driver side door may be 2 way). Sounds very nasal. If you plan to upgrade speakers, Recommend you use same model front & back. What ever fits the back will also fit the front. I'm using Infinity 62.3i speakers. Have already blown a pair (the fronts damages more easily than rears due to location and being slammed all the time when you close car door). Otherwise, very happy with price/performance. If you want better sound, recommend you go with components and place tweeters on the dash as location of door speakers isn't ideal for high freq sounds.

The following needs to be removed: 1. side mirror remote cover - these just pop off 2. window crank - fashion a hook out of paper clip. Push door panel in and turn handle while looking down at the space from top to locate the "loop" part of the clip. Attach hook and pull. It's very easy once you locate the loop. The crank handle comes off after you remove the clip. Re-attach the clip to crank immediately to avoid losing clip. Also recommend you roll window all the way to the top before removing crank to help you locate handle position when installing. 3. all Philips head screws (I can't remember exactly but there should be 4 - 5 of these) 4. the door lock handle assembly. You'll need small hands for this. The door lock handle is attached to the lock mechanism via 2 long rods with a 90 degree bend at the end. The bent part is hooked into a hole on the lock handle and secured with a plastic washer/clip. First unclip the plastic washer/clip (needle nose pliers help). Then, simply unhook the rod taking care not to drop the rod or lose the plastic washer/clip. The lock handle now comes off. 5. Now the easy part. Grasp the door trim panel at the bottom and give it a firm lift. This is to pop the trim panel out of the weather seal at the bottom of the window. After it pops out, simply pull the panel away from the door to remove. 6. Speaker is now right in front of you. Saturn uses some black gooey stuff to stick the plastic film to the door frame. This might may the screws difficult to remove but it will come off. 7. If you get speakers with external cross over, the black diagnoal metal rod inside the speaker hole is a good place to tie the cross over to.
Good luck.