Rear speakers installation for 2002 Saturn SL

I am going to add rear speakers to my 2002 Saturn SL (it has front speakers only). It seems very difficult to remove the rear desk's
grill to install speakers from the top. Is it possible to install aftermarket speakers from the bottom of the rear desk? If so, what kind of mounting (or adapters) should be used? Any suggestions? I assume the speakers size required to be 6 3/4".
Thank you.
Jerry
The 2002 SL has speaker and mounting screw cut outs in the rear deck already. Even the wiring is already done. Just fold down the rear seat backs and craw into the trunk and you'll see. It'll take most 6.5" to 6.75" speakers (I'm using Infinity 63.5i speakers without any adaptor. It just bolts on.) About the only thing you'll need, besides the speaker itself, is a screw driver, 4 screws per speaker and a screw clip per screw.
On 14 Dec 2003 00:43:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Jerry) wrote:

...on my 97 you take out the package shelf (fabric covered board under the rear window), then mount the speakers from the top. Crutchfield supplied the instructions when I bought speakers from them a few years ago...
(Jerry) wrote:

The factory speakers install from inside the trunk. They use plastic anchors which you can get from your Saturn dealer.

thanks for the info install on speakers i may be up grading my wifes saturn speakers.
As far as I'm aware, all S-Series rear speakers install from the top of the rear package shelf. You probably could install them from the underside, but running the screws in from the bottom may make the screws go into/through the rear deck cover and stick out.
For my '92 & '94, removing the rear deck cover involved removing the pillar trim, and some pop fasteners from the deck font. It then just pulls right out and isn't really a difficult job. In fact, even if you skip the pillar trim you can probably bow the center section upward enough to get the speakers in place and drive the screws with an angle screwdriver.
"Oversize 6.5" is the size that will drop right in. Other sizes may require adaptors and more messing around.
Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]
--
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www57.pair.com/lane

"Mr. Goodwrench" < snipped-for-privacy@erols.biz> wrote in message

My 95 I didn't have to mess with the pillar trim at all. Package shelf came right out.........
Thanks to all responded. Your messages are up to the point and very helpfull.
Thank you again.
Jerry