2003 ION battery question.

I have a 2003 ION that I'm selling. The only thing is that it's been sitting in backyard for about four months. I tried to jump start it and although I get 12+ volts into the battery and all the lights and alarms energize, the car will not start. It doesn't turn over, it just clicks. I can't imagine the problem being anything but the battery since it has not been driven.

So, I guess I don't know a lot about car batteries. Does jump starting a car mean that you're also charging its battery? Can a car battery be re-charged? Should I have kept the car with the good battery that I was jumping from on longer? Should I just get a new battery?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

-ac

Reply to
nightrider.36

When you "jump start" a car, you provide an "assist" to a weak battery. The running vehicle's alternator also charges the weak battery in the process.

I'd suggest you find an automatic battery charger and leave it on the old battery overnight, then try to start it in the morning and use the jump start if needed again. At this point, you likely have a completely drained battery. Getting it to that state is not at all good for the battery and may have rendered it unusable since when it is at a low charge the battery builds lead sulfates that short it out internally. Worst case, and more than likely, you will need to replace the battery.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

If jumping it isn't helping, it could be a passlock issue. I had my module go in my '03 Ion and I was sure it must have been a loose connection or the starter because everything else seemed to work fine.

New module and a new key (mine was seriously worn when I looked at it compared to my spare) and everything was right as rain again.

Michael H.

Reply to
M. Halliwell

IMHE, car batteries last about 5 years. The economics of replacement now are open to discusion but, if you want to get the best price for your used car, you do not want to need to jump start it to demo to a purchaser.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private