Camry LE idling low/rough after I replaced the battery

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice here. Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

I have a 2002 Camry LE with 81K on it. The original battery took a crap on me yesterday, so I took it down to the Checker Auto Parts, got a new one, and replaced it this afternoon.

The new battery, other than being about 0.5" smaller widthwise, fit and installed just fine. The posts/clamps are clean and tight.

After installation the engine started up just fine. Full charge, no hesitation, etc. The only difference I noticed is that after replacing the battery it is idling very low, it even stalled out once. It's so low that when the AC kicks on it even sputters, so I have to keep the gas pedal slightly depressed.

What should I check? Is it possible the guy at the auto parts store gave me the wrong battery? Or could it be my alternator?

Thanks,

-ML

Reply to
Mat Looney

If you had to remove any air intake ductwork to access the battery you might want to check to make sure you reattached all wiring connectors, especially the mass airflow sensor connector. Are any maintenance lights illuminated on the dash? I don't think by just replacing the battery, would you cause the symptoms you describe. By disconnecting the battery on some vehicles for a period of time, when reconnected the computer has to "relearn" to a point, and that happens just by driving the vehicle normally. If you did remove the duct with the mass airflow sensor, there is a possibility that some contaminants were disturbed on the sensor itself and is creating a faulty reading to send to the computer. You can clean the sensor by spraying it off with electrical contact / brake cleaner. It is very easy to clean but DO NOT touch it with you hands, swabs, or tools. It is damaged easily and is expensive to replace.

Reply to
user

Thanks for the response -- no I did not have to remove any of that, the battery was very easily accessible.

I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and make sure I was given the right battery -- if it is indeed the correct battery then I am going to test the alternator.

It actually ran a little smoother this evening so perhaps the computer is just readjusting (hopefully).

Thanks aga>> Hi guys,

Reply to
Matt L - Arizona

Did you try many times to crank your engine up when the old battery was dead just to try if you can make it go? Sometimes this will inject fuel and left unburned can clog your engine, just a thought. But this maybe for the old cars I know using carbs and not EFI.

Reply to
EdV

A bottle of Techron couldn't hurt. Cars like that cocktail occasionally.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It sounds to me like the battery was not charged up when it was placed in your car. A heavy charging current into a depleted battery could cause the idle to labor a bit. You might want to take your car to a service station that has a battery checker - - probably the checker that pulls 100 amperes for 10 or 15 seconds and then reads good or weak etc.on a meter would be an adequate test (engine off). Sometimes new batteries are not fresh batteries. A competent battery sales place should make sure the battery is fully charged before you leave the premises. Of course, as you drive the car, the battery will eventually get charged up, and the problem will disappear. Still, that stale a battery may never be really up to snuff, so I'd still have it tested.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Olson

I don't know if you have a Les Schwab around but we have them littered in Oregon. I've always bought my batteries there because they install it for no charge, it's the same price generally as anywhere else, and you usually get like a 60 month warranty. Oh and they'll do electrical tests for no charge too. Oh and, they rotate tires free of charge, free flat repair if you get tires from them, etc...

Gotta love Schwab's but they're not everywhere unfortunately.

Reply to
mrsteveo